ipdb exports functions to access the IPython debugger, which features tab completion, syntax highlighting, better tracebacks, better introspection with the same interface as the pdb module.
import ipdb ipdb.set_trace() ipdb.pm() ipdb.run('x = 3') result = ipdb.runcall(function, arg0, arg1, kwarg='foo') result = ipdb.runeval('f(1,2) - 3')
The post-mortem function, ipdb.pm(), is equivalent to the magic function %debug.
If you install ipdb with a tool which supports setuptools entry points, an ipdb script is made for you. You can use it to debug your python 2 scripts like
$ bin/ipdb mymodule.py
And for python 3
$ bin/ipdb3 mymodule.py
Alternatively with Python 2.7 only, you can also use
$ python -m ipdb mymodule.py
You can also enclose code with the with statement to launch ipdb if an exception is raised:
from ipdb import launch_ipdb_on_exception with launch_ipdb_on_exception(): [...]
Context managers were introduced in Python 2.5. Adding a context manager implies dropping Python 2.4 support. Use ipdb==0.6 with 2.4.
Using from future import print_function for Python 3 compat implies dropping Python 2.5 support. Use ipdb<=0.8 with 2.5.
ipdb source code and tracker are at https://github.com/gotcha/ipdb.
Pull requests should take care of updating the changelog HISTORY.txt.
Zope2 Products.PDBDebugMode uses ipdb, if available, in place of pdb.
iw.debug allows you to trigger an ipdb debugger on any published object of a Zope2 application.
- More Python 3 compatibility; implies dropping Python 2.5 support. Closes https://github.com/gotcha/ipdb/issues/37 [gotcha]
- IPython 1.0 compatibility. Closes https://github.com/gotcha/ipdb/issues/44 [pgularski]
- Index into version_info in setup.py for Python 2.6 compatibility. [kynan]
- Add Travis CI configuration. [kynan]
- Add launch_ipdb_on_exception context manager. Implies dropping Python 2.4 support. [Psycojoker]
- Wrap sys.excepthook only once. [marciomazza]
- Add GPL file and refer in headers. [stan3]
- Python 3 support. [Piet Delport]
- Basic tests. [msabramo]
- Added the functions runcall, runeval and run. [dimasad]
- State dependency on IPython later or equal to 0.10. [gotcha]
- Add setuptools console_scripts entry point. [akrito, gotcha]
- Nose support. Closes https://github.com/gotcha/ipdb/issues/8 [akaihola, gotcha]
- IPython 0.11 support. [lebedov]
- When used from IPython, use its colors. Closes https://github.com/gotcha/ipdb/issues/1 [gotcha]
- Fixed errors when exiting with “q”. [gotcha]
- Allow use of python -m ipdb mymodule.py. Python 2.7 only. Closes https://github.com/gotcha/ipdb/issues/3 [gotcha]
- Fixed post_mortem when the traceback is None. [maurits]
- Add post_mortem() for Products.PDBDebugMode support. [Jean Jordaan]
- Moved to github.com.
- Added pm(). [Paulo Benedict Ang]
- First “non dev” release.
Release history Release notifications
Download the file for your platform. If you're not sure which to choose, learn more about installing packages.
|Filename, size & hash||File type||Python version||Upload date|
|ipdb-0.8.1.zip (20.5 kB) View hashes||Source||None|