Just A Blog
Yes, it’s another Django blog. Not a blogging framework, though – just a blog. No bells or whistles. Designed to just get up and running with a basic blog as quickly as possible. No comments, no categories, no tagging. Themes are all template-based.
- You’ll need Django installed, and some way of hosting it – the default runserver, Apache with mod_wsgi, or (of course) a [PythonAnywhere](http://www.pythonanywhere.com) account.
- You’ll also need the [South Django migrations package](http://south.aeracode.org/): if you’re on PythonAnywhere, you’ll have it already. If not, pip install south.
- git checkout git://github.com/resolversystems/jab.git
- cd jab
- cp local_settings_template.py local_settings.py
- Edit local_settings.py, and change the variables in there to point to an appropriate database etc. The Twitter and email fields are optional, just miss them out if you don’t want to use them.
- python manage.py syncdb
- python manage.py migrate
…and you’re done! Log in to the admin GUI using the admin username you created during the syncdb, and add Post objects to post; set the status to “Published” when you want a post to go live. Posts contents are written in [Markdown](http://daringfireball.net/projects/markdown/syntax). It’s worth noting that you can just put any HTML in there too – it’ll get passed straight through. So, for example, YouTube embed code will work just fine unchanged.
If you want to add something to the header (like, say, an “About” page) then set the “Link from header” checkbox to true – and you might want to also set the “Show in list and rss” checkbox to false.
If you want something to appear in a sidebar (the default template puts it on the right) then just add a SidebarItem object; its contents field is also written in Markdown.
A neat hack – if you use Google Analytics and want to put the code in your blog, you can just create a new SidebarItem with the embed code in it – it will work!