Just Another Konsole YouTube-Music
Just Another Konsole YouTube-Music
My motivation for creating JAKYM came from my wish to create an application, that I could use to play music comfortably from the command line. I often play games and listen to music simultaneously, but using either Spotify or playing music in a browser takes a lot of resources from both my CPU and RAM.
I spent a lot of time looking through numerous CLI based music players, but they either require setting up a bunch of things, or required premium features to function; sometimes they didn't work at all, even after tinkering for hours.
Hence, instead of tearing my eyes out looking for a solution, I thought that I could code it myself.
So I present to you JAKYM, or "Just Another Konsole YouTube-Music": a command-line Youtube music player, written in Python with both Spotify and Youtube playlist support, easy on both memory and CPU resources.
Using Command Line Options
- Run it by using jakym command
jakym.You can also specify arguments to easily play a playlist or song. The available options can be seen via
jakym -s "link"or
jakym -y "link"to instanly start up by queuing a playlist without having to use the command window.
- You can also use
jakym -p "song 1" "song 2" "song 3"to queue up multiple songs.
- To instantly queue a saved jakym playlist run
jakym -l playlistpath playlistname.
- This will launch into jakym command window.
Using Jakym Command Window
- The program opens up into the jakym command window.
commandsto view all available commands.
- Enter a songname in command window to search for song or just enter its youtube link to play directly from a link.
- Jakym will queue the song once you type it and allow you to add the next song.
- The queue operates independent of the command window and plays the song on a separate thread.
- To exit the command window and hence the application simply type
spotifyto play music using spotify playlist
youtubeto play music using youtube playlist
rmto remove the last queued song from the playlist.
shuffleto shuffle your queue.
loadto load a playlist and
saveto save your playlist. Include the trailing slash in path i.e. specify path as
backto control the playback.
repeat offto control song repetition.
seekwith an integer like 10 or -10 to control the current song.
For Arch Linux users, jakym is available in the AUR. Simply use your favourate helper to get it.
To Update jakym simply run
pip install --upgrade jakym
ffmpeg is required for this program to work correctly. Install ffmpeg by following these steps:
- On Linux - https://www.tecmint.com/install-ffmpeg-in-linux/
- On Windows - https://www.wikihow.com/Install-FFmpeg-on-Windows
simpleaudio is an optional pydub dependency, however it is essential for proper working of jakym as the playback depends on simpleaudio.
- Install Dependencies by
sudo apt-get install -y python3-dev libasound2-dev
- Install with:
pip install simpleaudio
- Download the .whl file of simpleaudio from here
- Once downloaded, it can be installed using the following command :
pip install package_name.whl
Install by using pypi :-
pip install jakym
Run using jakym command
Violla jakym is now installed!
How It Works
- The program starts and runs two threads, one to input music into the playlist and the other to iterate over the playlist, download the corresponding music and play it.
- The yt-dlp library does most of the heavy lifting of both parsing links and downloading them into a suitable file format.
- The pydub and simpleaudio libraries provide cross-platform audio playback without any issues but setting up simpleaudio on windows and Linux take a different approach.
- The program runs until user types exit.
|0.4.1||Switched Backend From youtube-dl to yt-dlp for faster downloads|
|0.4.0||Playback controls, Bug fixes|
|0.3.3||Better temporary file management, Playlist management support|
|0.3.2||Fixed heavy CPU usage while Idling, Added command line arguments, Fixed colour issues on Windows|
|0.3.1||Bug fixes and Shuffle|
|0.3||Added Youtube Playlist support, Improved Readme|
|0.2||Added Spotify playlist support, Bug fixes|
|0.1.1||Improved documentation, Command line integration|
Copyright (c) 2021 Mayank Jha
License - GNU GPL v3
Release history Release notifications | RSS feed
Download the file for your platform. If you're not sure which to choose, learn more about installing packages.