Build and distribute Python eggs in one simple step
mkrelease is a no-frills Python egg releaser. It is designed to take the cumber out of building and distributing Python eggs.
Here at Jarn we use zc.buildout and pinned egg versions for customer deployments. This means that for every update, we have to make proper egg releases of all packages involved.
Turns out it’s quite a bit of work to put a new egg on a distribution server! After preparing a package for release (update version strings, etc) we typically have to:
- Commit modified files.
- Tag the release.
- Package up an egg.
- Distribute the egg via scp or upload it to an index server.
Now multiply by the number of packages waiting for release, and the moment of I gotta script this approaches at warp 9.
mkrelease requires Python 2.6 or 2.7. Use easy_install jarn.mkrelease to install the mkrelease script. Then put it on your system PATH by e.g. symlinking it to /usr/local/bin.
mkrelease is known to work with the 0.6 series of setuptools and distribute.
Note: Until Python 2.7.3 is out, we recommend to install mkrelease with Python 2.6.
mkrelease [options] [scm-url [rev]|scm-sandbox]
- -C, --no-commit
- Do not commit modified files from the sandbox.
- -T, --no-tag
- Do not tag the release in SCM.
- -S, --no-upload
- Do not upload the release to dist-location.
- -n, --dry-run
- Dry-run; equivalent to -CTS.
- --svn, --hg, --git
- Select the SCM type. Only required if the SCM type cannot be guessed from the argument.
- -d dist-location, --dist-location=dist-location
- An scp destination specification, or an index server configured in ~/.pypirc, or an alias name for either. This option may be specified more than once.
- -s, --sign
- Sign the release with GnuPG.
- -i identity, --identity=identity
- The GnuPG identity to sign with.
- -p, --push
- Push sandbox modifications upstream.
- -e, --develop
- Allow version number extensions (i.e. don’t ignore respective setup.cfg options.)
- -b, --binary
- Release a binary (bdist) egg.
- -q, --quiet
- Suppress output of setuptools commands.
- -c config-file, --config-file=config-file
- Use config-file instead of the default ~/.mkrelease.
- -l, --list-locations
- List known dist-locations and exit.
- -h, --help
- Print the help message and exit.
- -v, --version
- Print the version string and exit.
- The URL of a remote SCM repository. The optional rev argument specifies a branch or tag to check out.
- A local SCM sandbox. Defaults to the current working directory.
Release my.package and upload it to PyPI:
$ mkrelease -d pypi src/my.package
Release my.package and upload it via scp to the jarn.com server:
$ mkrelease -d jarn.com:/var/dist/public src/my.package
Release my.package using the repository URL instead of a local working copy:
$ mkrelease -d pypi https://svn.jarn.com/public/my.package/trunk
Release a development egg of my.package (while suppressing setuptools output):
$ mkrelease -qed jarn.com:/var/dist/public src/my.package
mkrelease reads available index servers from the distutils configuration file ~/.pypirc. This file must contain your PyPI account information:
[distutils] index-servers = pypi [pypi] username = fred password = secret
mkrelease also reads its own configuration file ~/.mkrelease. Here’s an example:
[mkrelease] distbase = distdefault = public [aliases] public = jarn.com:/var/dist/public customerA = jarn.com:/var/dist/customerA world = public pypi
(Note that pypi refers to the index server pypi as configured in ~/.pypirc.)
Armed with this configuration we can shorten example 2 to:
$ mkrelease -d public src/my.package
And because public is the default location, we can omit -d entirely:
$ mkrelease src/my.package
Working with SCP
The simplest distribution location is a server directory shared through Apache. Releasing an egg means scp-ing it to the appropriate place on the server:
$ mkrelease -d jarn.com:/var/dist/public src/my.package
We have a distribution point for every project, so customer A does not see customer B’s releases:
$ mkrelease -d jarn.com:/var/dist/customerB src/my.package
Typing the full destination every time is tedious, even setting up an alias for each and every customer is, so we configure distbase instead:
[mkrelease] distbase = jarn.com:/var/dist distdefault = public [aliases] world = public pypi
The distbase is prepended if an scp destination does not contain a host part. We can now write:
$ mkrelease -d public src/my.package $ mkrelease -d customerB src/my.package
Working with Index Servers
Another way of distributing Python eggs is by uploading them to dedicated index servers, notably PyPI. Given the ~/.pypirc file from above we can release on PyPI by typing:
$ mkrelease -d pypi src/my.package
Index servers are not limited to PyPI though. For example, in the Plone world it is common practice to upload packages to plone.org as well as to PyPI.
We extend our ~/.pypirc to add a second index server:
[distutils] index-servers = pypi ploneorg [pypi] username = fred password = secret [ploneorg] repository = http://plone.org/products username = fred password = secret
This allows us to write:
$ mkrelease -d ploneorg src/my.package
The -d flag may be specified more than once:
$ mkrelease -d pypi -d ploneorg src/my.package
Alternatively, we can group the servers by defining an alias in ~/.mkrelease:
[aliases] plone = pypi ploneorg
$ mkrelease -d plone src/my.package
Note: Setuptools rebuilds the egg for every index server it uploads it to. This means that MD5 sums and GnuPG signatures will differ between servers. If this is not what you want, upload to only one server and distribute from there by other means.
Releasing a Tag
Release my.package from an existing tag:
$ mkrelease -T https://svn.jarn.com/public/my.package/tags/1.0
With Mercurial and Git we can use the second argument to specify the tag:
$ mkrelease -T ssh://email@example.com/Jarn/my.package 1.0
Release my.package and sign the archive with GnuPG:
$ mkrelease -s -i firstname.lastname@example.org src/my.package
The -i flag is optional, and GnuPG will pick your default key if not given. In addition, defaults for -s and -i can be configured in ~/.pypirc:
[distutils] index-servers = pypi [pypi] username = fred password = secret sign = yes identity = email@example.com
The following commands must be available on the system PATH (you only need what you plan to use):
The release tag can only be created if the repository follows one of these layouts:
- The standard Subversion layout: my.package/trunk, my.package/branches, and my.package/tags.
- The singular-form layout variant: my.package/trunk, my.package/branch, and my.package/tag.
3.5 - 2011-11-25
- Allow multiple values for the distdefault config file option. [stefan]
- Defer list-locations until after all arguments have been parsed. [stefan]
- Make tests run twice as fast by avoiding Subversion checkouts. [stefan]
3.4 - 2011-11-10
- Warn if -p is given but no upstream location is found. [stefan]
- Always push to default in Mercurial. [stefan]
- Avoid reading empty lines from terminating subprocesses. [stefan]
- Fix bug in handling of distbase. [stefan]
3.3 - 2011-10-31
- Add setuptools to the PYTHONPATH for subprocesses. [stefan]
- Unset any PYTHONPATH while executing SCM commands. [stefan]
- Support Git’s short-form ssh:// URLs. [stefan]
- Add -c option to specify a config file other than ~/.mkrelease. [stefan]
3.2 - 2011-10-21
- Fix the environment passed to subprocesses; Mercurial did not appreciate the mangled PYTHONPATH. [stefan]
- Allow to specify the branch or tag to check out from Git and Mercurial repositories. [stefan]
- Adapt to new status output in Subversion 1.6. [stefan]
- Always include distdefault in list-locations. [stefan]
- Detect Subversion repos from file:// URLs. [stefan]
- Detect bare Git repos from file:// URLs. [stefan]
3.1 - 2011-07-19
- Pass the PYTHONPATH to subprocesses so mkrelease works in zc.buildout environments. [stefan]
- Improve SCM detection in situations where one or more SCMs are nested. [stefan]
- Add support for relative file: URLs. [stefan]
- Depend on lazy instead of carrying a local implementation. [stefan]
3.0.10 - 2011-07-07
- Add -l option to list known dist-locations (i.e. servers and aliases). [stefan]
- Drop support for server URLs as dist-locations. Server URLs are not unique. [stefan]
- Update the Mercurial test repository so tagging tests don’t fail under Mercurial 1.8. [stefan]
3.0.9 - 2010-12-31
- Rename [defaults] configuration file section to [mkrelease]. [stefan]
- Various internal code cleanups. [stefan]
3.0.8 - 2010-08-13
- Avoid underscores in dependency names. [stefan]
- Handle return code changes in Mercurial 1.6. [stefan]
3.0.7 - 2010-07-07
- Improve documentation and error messages. [stefan]
3.0.5 - 2010-03-23
- Allow per-server configuration of -s and -i defaults. [stefan]
- Support the codespeak.net Subversion repository layout. [stefan]
3.0.4 - 2010-03-16
- Status checks didn’t use the same path restrictions as commits (Mercurial and Git.) [stefan]
3.0.3 - 2010-03-16
- Change how we check for existing tags in Subversion repositories. [stefan]
- Make sandbox-status checks more robust in all three SCMs. [stefan]
3.0.2 - 2010-03-12
- Add support for Git 1.7. [stefan]
3.0.1 - 2010-02-07
- Stop when -d pypi is given but no configuration can be found. [stefan]
- Use gnu_getopt to parse the command line. [stefan]
3.0 - 2010-01-15
- Switch to -n for dry-run to be consistent with other tools. [stefan]
- Rename –skip-* long options to –no-* for the same reason. [stefan]
- Fix a bug in Mercurial and Git sandbox detection. [stefan]
- Prepare for standalone distutils. [stefan]
2.0.4 - 2010-01-10
- Improve Git support to handle remotes other than origin. [stefan]
- Fix SCM detection in ssh:// URLs. [stefan]
2.0.3 - 2010-01-03
- Add -b option for releasing binary eggs. [stefan]
- Don’t choke on dirty sandboxes when dry-running. [stefan]
2.0.2 - 2009-08-29
- Filter meta files (.svn*, .hg*, .git*) and never include them in releases. [stefan]
- Make sure to clean up all temporary files. [stefan]
2.0.1 - 2009-07-24
- Fixed bug which could cause mkrelease to issue eggs with faulty manifest files (Symptom: data files not installed). [stefan]
- The -e flag now implies -T. We never want to tag a development release. [stefan]
2.0 - 2009-07-16
- Allow command line options to appear after the argument. As in: mkrelease src/my.package -q -d pypi. [stefan]
2.0b2 - 2009-07-09
- Improve user feedback in the SCM-detection part. [stefan]
- Document the -e flag. [stefan]
- Drop global configuration file for YAGNI. [stefan]
- Allow to set default values for -s and -i in ~/.mkrelease. [stefan]
2.0b1 - 2009-07-03
- By default, ignore all version number extensions (dev-r12345) that may be configured in setup.cfg. Passing the -e flag disables this safeguard. [witsch, stefan]
- Delete any existing signature file before signing anew. This keeps GnuPG from complaining about existing (but left-over) files. [stefan]
2.0a2 - 2009-06-27
- Drop configurable Python and use sys.executable. This also means we now require Python 2.6. [stefan]
- Force setuptools to only use file-finders for the selected SCM type. This is required to support multi-SCM sandboxes (think git-svn). [stefan]
- Treat Subversion sandboxes just like the others and avoid the temporary checkout step. [stefan]
- Remove the -u flag for being pointless. [stefan]
2.0a1 - 2009-06-14
- Added support for Mercurial and Git. [stefan]
- Added 250+ unit tests. [stefan]
1.0.2 - 2009-06-13
- Documented long options. [stefan]
- Print a “Tagging …” line before tagging. [stefan]
1.0 - 2009-05-14
- Print help and version to stdout, not stderr. [stefan]
1.0b4 - 2009-04-30
- Since distutils commands may return 0, successful or not, we must check their output for signs of failure. [stefan]
- Allow to pass argument list to main(). [stefan]
1.0b3 - 2009-03-23
- No longer depend on grep. [stefan]
- Use subprocess.Popen instead of os.system and os.popen. [stefan]
- Protect against infinite alias recursion. [stefan]
- Drop -z option and always create zip files from now on. [stefan]
1.0b2 - 2009-03-19
- Checkin everything that’s been modified, not just “relevant” files. [stefan]
- Expand aliases recursively. [stefan]
1.0b1 - 2009-03-18
- The distbase and distdefault config file options no longer have default values. [stefan]
- Read index servers from ~/.pypirc and allow them to be used with -d. [stefan]
- The -d option may be specified more than once. [stefan]
- Dropped -p option. Use -d pypi instead. [stefan]
- Dropped -c option. If your have non-standard SVN repositories you must tag by hand. [stefan]
0.19 - 2009-02-23
- Absolute-ize the temp directory path. [stefan]
0.18 - 2009-01-26
- Include README.txt and CHANGES.txt in long_description. [stefan]
- Rid unused imports and locals. [stefan]
0.17 - 2009-01-23
- Add -c option to enable codespeak support. The codespeak.net repository uses branch and tag instead of branches and tags. [gotcha, stefan]
0.16 - 2009-01-13
- Fold regex construction into find and make find a method. [stefan]
- Update README.txt. [stefan]
0.15 - 2009-01-13
- Support for reading default options from a config file. [fschulze, stefan]
0.14 - 2009-01-08
- Add -s and -i options for signing PyPI uploads with GnuPG. [stefan]
- Stop execution after any failing step. [stefan]
0.13 - 2009-01-05
- Stop execution when the checkin step fails. [stefan]
0.12 - 2009-01-02
- setup.cfg may not exist. [stefan]
0.11 - 2008-12-02
- Add setup.cfg to list of files we check in. [stefan]
0.10 - 2008-10-21
- Don’t capitalize GetOptError messages. [stefan]
0.9 - 2008-10-16
- Add -v option to print the script version. [stefan]
0.8 - 2008-10-16
- Lift restriction where only svn trunk could be released. [stefan]
0.7 - 2008-10-09
- Fix PyPI upload which must happen on the same command line as sdist. [stefan]
0.6 - 2008-10-08
- Update README.txt. [stefan]
0.5 - 2008-10-08
- Also locate and checkin HISTORY.txt to support ZopeSkel’ed eggs. [stefan]
0.4 - 2008-10-08
- Use svn checkout instead of svn export because it makes a difference to setuptools. [stefan]
- Add -p option for uploading to PyPI instead of dist-location. [stefan]
0.3 - 2008-10-06
- Also locate and checkin version.txt. [stefan]
0.2 - 2008-10-01
- Add -z option to create zip archives instead of the default tar.gz. [stefan]
0.1 - 2008-10-01
- Initial release [stefan]