A tidy Python package for geospatial computation
Karta is a Leatherman for geographic analyses. Karta provides an interface for solving problems in Python (2 or 3) that works nicely with existing packages. To this end, it provides simple and clean vector and raster data types, a selection of analysis functions, the ability to read and write a small number of useful formats, and interoperability with numpy.
Goals of Karta include providing a simple, lightweight, and fast set of tools useful for “everyday” spatial analysis, as well as a flexible set of abstractions upon which to build more advanced routines.
CONTENTS AT A GLANCE
- guppy: Vector geometry classes (e.g. Point, Multipoint, Line, Polygon)
- gpx: GPX class for parsing and constructing GPX eXchange files
- geojson: Classes and functions for reading and writing GeoJSON
- vtk: XML-based VTK interface
- shp_funcs: Shapefile-to-guppy conversions based on pyshp
- stats: Geostatistical functions
- xyfile: ASCII table functions
- grid: Basic Grid types, including StructuredGrid and RegularGrid
- aaigrid: Grid subclass specifically for reading, writing, and manipulating ESRI ASCII grids
- flow: Stream flow functions
- raster: General purpose raster functions
- streamline: Streamline calculation
Karta provides a basic working interface to several of common file formats. Currently partially-supported are:
- ASCII tables (XYZ) (r,w)
- GeoJSON (r,w)
- GPS eXchange (GPX) (r,w)
- VTK (w)
- ESRI Shapefiles via pyshp (r,w)
- ESRI ASCII Grid (r,w)
- USGS DEM (WIP)
The easiest way to install is to use pip.
cd karta/ pip install .
- Python 2.6+ or Python 3.2+
- pyproj (required for geodetic calculations)
Cython is an optional dependency used to speed up select functions. In general, enhanced-performance functions will then be called automatically when available, otherwise Karta will fall back to numpy and pure-Python versions.
This software is provided under the MIT license.
Permission is hereby granted, free of charge, to any person obtaining a copy of this software and associated documentation files (the “Software”), to deal in the Software without restriction, including without limitation the rights to use, copy, modify, merge, publish, distribute, sublicense, and/or sell copies of the Software, and to permit persons to whom the Software is furnished to do so, subject to the following conditions:
The above copyright notice and this permission notice shall be included in all copies or substantial portions of the Software.
THE SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED “AS IS”, WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND NONINFRINGEMENT. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE AUTHORS OR COPYRIGHT HOLDERS BE LIABLE FOR ANY CLAIM, DAMAGES OR OTHER LIABILITY, WHETHER IN AN ACTION OF CONTRACT, TORT OR OTHERWISE, ARISING FROM, OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE SOFTWARE OR THE USE OR OTHER DEALINGS IN THE SOFTWARE.