A code generator for array-based code on CPUs and GPUs
Loopy lets you easily generate the tedious, complicated code that is necessary to get good performance out of GPUs and multi-core CPUs.
Loopy’s core idea is that a computation should be described simply and then transformed into a version that gets high performance. This transformation takes place under user control, from within Python.
It can capture the following types of optimizations:
- Vector and multi-core parallelism in the OpenCL/CUDA model
- Data layout transformations (structure of arrays to array of structures)
- Loopy Unrolling
- Loop tiling with efficient handling of boundary cases
- Prefetching/copy optimizations
- Instruction level parallelism
- and many more
Loopy targets array-type computations, such as the following:
- dense linear algebra,
- n-body interactions,
- PDE solvers, such as finite element, finite difference, and Fast-Multipole-type computations
It is not (and does not want to be) a general-purpose programming language.
Places on the web related to Loopy: