Console viewer for MIME mail files
Mailcat outputs mail files to the text console. It works just like cat:
$ mailcat example.eml Subject: Plushy From: Jan <email@example.com> To: Marta <firstname.lastname@example.org> Date: Fri, 21 Aug 2015 23:10:43 +0200 Hi Marta, Here are the pictures of my cat, Plushy. She's so cute!!! Attachments:  Plushy1.jpg (image/jpeg)  Plushy2.jpg (image/jpeg)  Plushy3.jpg (image/jpeg)
Download and install
Install Mailcat with pip:
pip install mailcat
To use Mailcat with less, add this to ~/.lessfilter:
#!/bin/sh case "$1" in *.eml|*.mbx|*.mbox) mailcat --color=always "$1" exit 0 ;; esac exit 1
and make ~/.lessfilter executable:
chmod +x ~/.lessfilter
The source code is available from the Git repository at Bitbucket.
Mailcat is written in Python and licensed under GNU GPL version 3 or any later version.
(released on October 3, 2015)
- Added support for mbox files.
- Added support for reading from stdin.
- Fixed UnicodeEncodeError in Python 2 when stdout is a file or a pipe.
(released on August 21, 2015)
- Added support for reading .eml files (plain text MIME messages).
- Added formatting of HTML bodies as plain text or raw HTML.
- Added attachment listing.
- Added color highlighting.