ManageSieve client library for remotely managing Sieve scripts
Sieve scripts allow users to filter incoming email on the mail server. The ManageSieve protocol allows managing Sieve scripts on a remote mail server. These servers are commonly sealed so users cannot log into them, yet users must be able to update their scripts on them. This is what for the “ManageSieve” protocol is. For more information about the ManageSieve protocol see RFC 5804.
This module allows accessing a Sieve-Server for managing Sieve scripts there. It is accompanied by a simple yet functional user application ‘sieveshell’.
Changes since 0.4.2
Changes since 0.4
- fixed short read (thanks to paurkedal for submitting the patch)
- Use ssl.wrap_socket() instead of deprecated socket.ssl(). Thanks to Guido Berhoerster for submitting the patch.
Requirements and Installation
- Python 2.x or higher (tested with 2.5 and 2.6, but other versions should work, too, Python 3.x is not supported),
- logging when using Python < 2.3 (
loggingis already included in Python 2.3 and higher)
- setuptools or distribute for installation (see below)
|Hints for installing on Windows:|
Following the links above you will find .msi and .exe-installers. Simply install them and continue with installing managesieve.
|Hints for installing on GNU/Linux:|
Most current GNU/Linux distributions
provide packages for the requirements. Look for packages names like
|Hint for installing on other platforms:|
Many vendors provide Python. Please check your vendors software repository. Otherwise please download Python 2.6 (or any higer version from the 2.x series) from http://www.python.org/download/ and follow the installation instructions there.
When you are reading this you most probably already downloaded and
managesieve. Thus installing is as easy as running:
python ./setup.py install
Otherwise you may install directly using setuptools/easy_install. If
your system has network access installing
managesieve is a
Without network access download
http://pypi.python.org/pypi/managesieve and run:
More Hints on Installing setuptools
managesieve uses setuptools for installation. Thus you need either
- network access, so the install script will automatically download and install setuptools if they are not already installed
- the correct version of setuptools preinstalled using the EasyInstall installation instructions. Those instructions also have tips for dealing with firewalls as well as how to manually download and install setuptools.
Custom Installation Locations
If you want to install the
managesieve Python module and the
sieveshell script at a custom location, you can use commands like
# install to /usr/local/lib/ and /usr/local/bin python ./setup.py install --prefix /usr/local # install to your Home directory (~/bin and ~/lib/python) python ./setup.py install --home ~
Please mind: This effects also the installation of
setuptools) if they are not already installed.
For more information please refer to the Custom Installation Locations Instructions before installing managesieve.
Not yet implemented
- sieve-names are only quoted dump (put into quotes, but no escapes yet).
Copyright and License
Copyright (C) 2003-2013 by Hartmut Goebel <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- License: Python Software Foundation License
- License for ‘sieveshell’ and test suite: GPL v3
Some ideas taken from imaplib written by Piers Lauder <email@example.com> et al.
Thanks to Tomas ‘Skitta’ Lindroos, Lorenzo Boccaccia, Alain Spineux, darkness and Gregory Boyce for sending patches.
Download the file for your platform. If you're not sure which to choose, learn more about installing packages.
|File Name & Checksum SHA256 Checksum Help||Version||File Type||Upload Date|
|managesieve-0.5.tar.bz2 (16.4 kB) Copy SHA256 Checksum SHA256||–||Source||Mar 24, 2013|
|managesieve-0.5.zip (24.3 kB) Copy SHA256 Checksum SHA256||–||Source||Mar 24, 2013|