Marionette test automation client
- <!– This Source Code Form is subject to the terms of the Mozilla Public
- License, v. 2.0. If a copy of the MPL was not distributed with this
- file, You can obtain one at http://mozilla.org/MPL/2.0/. –>
# Marionette Client
[Marionette](https://developer.mozilla.org/en/Marionette) is a Mozilla project to enable remote automation in Gecko-based projects, including desktop Firefox, mobile Firefox, and Boot-to-Gecko.
It utilizes the [remote-debugger](https://wiki.mozilla.org/Platform/JSDebugv2) inside Gecko for the transport layer of the Marionette server. The commands the Marionette server will eventually implement are based on Selenium’s [JSON Wire Protocol](http://code.google.com/p/selenium/wiki/JsonWireProtocol), although not all commands are presently implemented, and additional commands will likely be added.
## Package Files
- client.py: This is the Marionette socket client; it speaks the same socket protocol as the Gecko remote debugger.
- marionette.py: The Marionette client. This uses client.py to communicate with a server that speaks the Gecko remote debugger protocol. This allows Selenium tests to utilize Marionette.
- testserver.py: A socket server which mimics the remote debugger in Gecko, and can be used to test pieces of the Marionette client.
- test_protocol.py: Tests the Marionette JSON Protocol by using testserver.py.
You’ll need the ManifestDestiny and MozHttpd packages from Mozbase:
git clone git://github.com/mozilla/mozbase.git cd mozbase python setup_development.py
Other than that, there are no special requirements.
## Writing and Running Tests Using Marionette
See [Writing Marionette tests](https://developer.mozilla.org/en/Marionette/Tests), and [Running Marionette tests](https://developer.mozilla.org/en/Marionette/Running_Tests).