The Mayavi scientific data 3-dimensional visualizer.
The Mayavi project includes two related packages for 3-dimensional visualization:
- Mayavi2: A tool for easy and interactive visualization of data.
- TVTK: A Traits-based wrapper for the Visualization Toolkit, a popular open-source visualization library.
These libraries operate at different levels of abstraction. TVTK manipulates visualization objects, while Mayavi2 lets you operate on your data, and then see the results. Most users either use the Mayavi user interface or program to its scripting interface; you probably don’t need to interact with TVTK unless you want to create a new Mayavi module.
Mayavi2 seeks to provide easy and interactive visualization of 3-D data. It offers:
- An (optional) rich user interface with dialogs to interact with all data and objects in the visualization.
- A simple and clean scripting interface in Python, including one-liners, or an object-oriented programming interface.
- The power of the VTK toolkit, harnessed through these interfaces, without forcing you to learn it.
Additionally Mayavi2 is a reusable tool that can be embedded in your applications in different ways or combined with the Envisage application-building framework to assemble domain-specific tools.
TVTK wraps VTK objects to provide a convenient, Pythonic API, while supporting Traits attributes and NumPy/SciPy arrays. TVTK is implemented mostly in pure Python, except for a small extension module.
Developers typically use TVTK to write Mayavi modules, and then use Mayavi to interact with visualizations or create applications.