Control Bot in a grid without self-destructing
This repository implements a robot that responds to commands once placed on a table of size 5x5. The robot will ignore all commands until it is placed on the table. It will also not execute a command that will make it fall off the table.
- The commands that can be provided to the robot are PLACE, MOVE, LEFT, RIGHT, and REPORT.
- The robot has both a position (x,y) coordinates, as well as an orientation (NORTH, EAST, SOUTH, WEST).
- The MOVE command will move the robot one step in the direction it is currently facing.
- The LEFT and RIGHT commands will rotate the robot 90 degrees in the respective direction.
- The REPORT command will print out the current location of the robot, along with its orientation to standard output.
For example, a file with content:
PLACE 0,0,NORTH MOVE REPORT
to standard out.
This repository requires Python v3.6 or higher to run, as well as its dependencies (defined in requirements_dev.txt) installed (see Usage section).
First install dependencies defined in the requirements_dev.txt file (ideally in a new virtual environment):
pip install -r requirements_dev.txt
The input to mazbot should be provided in a text file (for sample files check the inside of the input_files directory). The path to the input file needs to be provided as a command line argument (see below).
To run mazbot as a CLI tool:
python -m mazbot --input-file <input_path_in_quotes>
python -m mazbot --input-file 'input_files/input_file_1.txt'
from the root directory to run all tests on the package
to change the logging configuration for the package
- You may run the tests for the package by running pytest in the root. Running tox will run tests for all python versions 3.8, 3,7 and 3.6
- You may also access useful commands through the Makefile. For example, run make coverage to generate a coverage report, and make docs to use Sphinx to generate documentation (including API documentation using in-built docstrings)
- The Travis CI pipeline will run all tests on pushes to all branches, and will build and push to the PyPI repository on a tagged merge to master.
- You can autogenerate version numbers and tags using the bump2version command (e.g. bump2version patch will increment a patch version and apply the incremented tag based on the current version)
- The repository is integrated with PyPI for repository build indexing, readthedocs for online documentation, and pyup for keeping dependencies up to date automatically. These functionalities are either partially or not currently working ever since the repository was made private on GitHub.
The repository follows a Feature Branch workflow. Modifications to the repository should happen in a feature branch, with the branch name having feature/ prepended (e.g. feature/refactoring). Merges to master should only occur on a Pull Request submitted with at least one approval.
Known issues and limitations
- The robot only supports a 5x5 grid at present. Support for other sizes (e.g. through command line arguments) was deprioritized since the problem statement specifically asks for those dimensions, though the implementation code has been written in an agnostic fashion
- Integrations with PyPI, readthedocs, pyup are either partially or not currently working ever since the repository was made private on GitHub.
- Free software: MIT license
- Documentation: https://mazbot.readthedocs.io. (not updated ever since GitHub project moved to be private)
- First release on PyPI.
- Robot functional end-to-end (reading from file path provided through CLI to output to stdout)
- readthedocs, pyup, pypi integrations working
Download the file for your platform. If you're not sure which to choose, learn more about installing packages.
|Filename, size||File type||Python version||Upload date||Hashes|
|Filename, size mazbot-0.1.7-py2.py3-none-any.whl (10.9 kB)||File type Wheel||Python version py2.py3||Upload date||Hashes View|
|Filename, size mazbot-0.1.7.tar.gz (16.4 kB)||File type Source||Python version None||Upload date||Hashes View|
Hashes for mazbot-0.1.7-py2.py3-none-any.whl