Electromagnetic simulation tools
meanas is a python package for electromagnetic simulations
** UNSTABLE / WORK IN PROGRESS **
Formerly known as fdfd_tools.
This package is intended for building simulation inputs, analyzing simulation outputs, and running short simulations on unspecialized hardware. It is designed to provide tooling and a baseline for other, high-performance purpose- and hardware-specific solvers.
- Finite difference frequency domain (FDFD)
- Library of sparse matrices for representing the electromagnetic wave equation in 3D, as well as auxiliary matrices for conversion between fields
- Waveguide mode operators
- Waveguide mode eigensolver
- Stretched-coordinate PML boundaries (SCPML)
- Functional versions of most operators
- Anisotropic media (limited to diagonal elements eps_xx, eps_yy, eps_zz, mu_xx, ...)
- Arbitrary distributions of perfect electric and magnetic conductors (PEC / PMC)
- Finite difference time domain (FDTD)
- Basic Maxwell time-steps
- Poynting vector and energy calculation
- Convolutional PMLs
This package does not provide a fast matrix solver, though by default
meanas.fdfd.solvers.generic(...) will call
scipy.sparse.linalg.qmr(...) to perform a solve.
For 2D FDFD problems this should be fine; likewise, the waveguide mode
solver uses scipy's eigenvalue solver, with reasonable results.
For solving large (or 3D) FDFD problems, I recommend a GPU-based iterative solver, such as opencl_fdfd or those included in MAGMA. Your solver will need the ability to solve complex symmetric (non-Hermitian) linear systems, ideally with double precision.
- Source repository
- PyPI TBD
- python >=3.8
Install from PyPI with pip:
pip3 install 'meanas[dev]'
Install python3 and git:
# This is for Debian/Ubuntu/other-apt-based systems; you may need an alternative command sudo apt install python3 build-essential python3-dev git
In-place development install:
# Download using git git clone https://mpxd.net/code/jan/meanas.git # If you'd like to create a virtualenv, do so: python3 -m venv my_venv # If you are using a virtualenv, activate it source my_venv/bin/activate # Install in-place (-e, editable) from ./meanas, including development dependencies ([dev]) pip3 install --user -e './meanas[dev]' # Run tests cd meanas python3 -m pytest -rsxX | tee test_results.txt
examples/ for some simple examples; you may need additional
packages such as gridlock
to run the examples.
Download the file for your platform. If you're not sure which to choose, learn more about installing packages.