Process executor for tests.
Mirakuru is a process orchestration tool designed for functional and integration tests.
Maybe you want to be able to start a database before you start your program or maybe you just need to set additional services up for your tests. This is where you should consider using mirakuru to add superpowers to your program or tests.
In a project that relies on multiple processes there might be a need to guard code with tests that verify interprocess communication. So one needs to set up all of required databases, auxiliary and application services to verify their cooperation. Synchronising (or orchestrating) test procedure with tested processes might be a hell.
If so, then mirakuru is what you need.
Mirakuru starts your process and waits for the clear indication that it’s running. Library provides six executors to fit different cases:
- SimpleExecutor - starts a process and does not wait for anything. It is useful to stop or kill a process and its subprocesses. Base class for all the rest of executors.
- Executor - base class for executors verifying if a process has started.
- OutputExecutor - waits for a specified output to be printed by a process.
- TCPExecutor - waits for the ability to connect through TCP with a process.
- HTTPExecutor - waits for a successful HEAD request (and TCP before).
- PidExecutor - waits for a specified .pid file to exist.
from mirakuru import HTTPExecutor from httplib import HTTPConnection, OK def test_it_works(): # The ``./http_server`` here launches some HTTP server on the 6543 port, # but naturally it is not immediate and takes a non-deterministic time: executor = HTTPExecutor("./http_server", url="http://127.0.0.1:6543/") # Start the server and wait for it to run (blocking): executor.start() # Here the server should be running! conn = HTTPConnection("127.0.0.1", 6543) conn.request("GET", "/") assert conn.getresponse().status is OK executor.stop()
A command by which executor spawns a process can be defined by either string or list.
# command as string TCPExecutor('python -m smtpd -n -c DebuggingServer localhost:1025', host='localhost', port=1025) # command as list TCPExecutor( ['python', '-m', 'smtpd', '-n', '-c', 'DebuggingServer', 'localhost:1025'], host='localhost', port=1025 )
mirakuru is licensed under LGPL license, version 3.
- [enhancement] Executor’s timeout to be set for both executor’s start and stop
- [enhancement] It’s no longer possible to hang indefinitely on the start or stop. Timeout is set to 3600 seconds by default, with values possible between 0 and sys.maxsize with the latter still bit longer than 2924712086 centuries.
- [enhancement] Do not fail if processes child throw EPERM error during clean up phase
- [enhancement] Run subprocesses in shell by default on Windows
- [ehnancement] Do not pass preexec_fn on windows
- [enhancement] Fallback to kill through SIGTERM on Windows, since SIGKILL is not available
- [enhancement] detect cases where during stop process already exited, and simply clean up afterwards
- [enhancement] when killing the process ignore OsError with errno no such process as the process have already died.
- [enhancement] small context manager code cleanup
- [bugfix] atexit cleanup_subprocesses() function now reimports needed functions
- [bugfix] Handle IOErrors from psutil (#112)
- [bugfix] Pass global vars to atexit cleanup_subprocesses function (#111)
- [feature] Kill all running mirakuru subprocesses on python exit.
- [enhancement] Prefer psutil library (>=4.0.0) over calling ‘ps xe’ command to find leaked subprocesses.
- [feature] HTTPExecutor enriched with the ‘status’ argument. It allows to define which HTTP status code(s) signify that a HTTP server is running.
- [feature] Changed executor methods to return itself to allow method chaining.
- [feature] Context Manager to return Executor instance, allows creating Executor instance on the fly.
- [style] Migrated % string formating to format().
- [style] Explicitly numbered replacement fields in string.
- [docs] Added documentation for timeouts.
- [refactoring] Moved source to src directory.
- [fix, feature] Python 3.5 fixes.
- [fix] Docstring changes for updated pep257.
- [fix] Modify MANIFEST to prune tests folder.
- [feature] HTTPExecutor will now set the default 80 if not present in a URL.
- [feature] Detect subprocesses exiting erroneously while polling the checks and error early.
- [fix] Make test_forgotten_stop pass by preventing the shell from optimizing forking out.
- [style] Corrected code to conform with W503, D210 and E402 linters errors as reported by pylama 6.3.1.
- [feature] Introduced a hack that kills all subprocesses of executor process. It requires ‘ps xe -ww’ command being available in OS otherwise logs error.
- [refactoring] Classes name convention change. Executor class got renamed into SimpleExecutor and StartCheckExecutor class got renamed into Executor.
- [feature] Ability to set up custom signal for stopping and killing processes managed by executors.
- [feature] Replaced explicit parameters with keywords for kwargs handled by basic Executor init method.
- [feature] Executor now accepts both list and string as a command.
- [fix] Even it’s not recommended to import all but from mirakuru import * didn’t worked. Now it’s fixed.
- [tests] increased tests coverage. Even test cover 100% of code it doesn’t mean they cover 100% of use cases!
- [code quality] Increased Pylint code evaluation.
- [feature] Introduced PidExecutor that waits for specified file to be created.
- [feature] Provided PyPy compatibility.
- [fix] Closing all resources explicitly.
- [fix] Kill all children processes of Executor started with shell=True.
- [feature] Executors are now context managers - to start executors for given context.
- [feature] Executor.stopped - context manager for stopping executors for given context.
- [feature] HTTPExecutor and TCPExecutor before .start() check whether port is already used by other processes and raise AlreadyRunning if detects it.
- [refactoring] Moved python version conditional imports into compat.py module.
- [fix] Fixed an issue where setting shell to True would execute only part of the command.
- [fix] Fixed an issue where OutputExecutor would hang, if started process stopped producing output.
- [fix] Removed leftover sleep from TCPExecutor._wait_for_connection.
- [fix] Fixed MANIFEST.in.
- Updated packaging options.
- Exposed process attribute on Executor.
- Exposed port and host on TCPExecutor.
- Exposed URL on HTTPExecutor.
- Simplified package structure.
- Simplified executors operating API.
- Updated documentation.
- Added docblocks for every function.
- Applied license headers.
- Stripped orchestrators.
- Forked off from summon_process.
Release history Release notifications
Download the file for your platform. If you're not sure which to choose, learn more about installing packages.
|Filename, size & hash SHA256 hash help||File type||Python version||Upload date|
|mirakuru-1.1.0-py2.py3-none-any.whl (23.3 kB) Copy SHA256 hash SHA256||Wheel||py2.py3|
|mirakuru-1.1.0.tar.gz (21.9 kB) Copy SHA256 hash SHA256||Source||None|