PasteScript template to create a Python project with distribute and buildout support
modern-package-template is a Paste template to create an initial layout for your Python projects using modern tools and practices followed in the Python community. Thus, your projects will have the following characteristics:
- Use Distribute instead of setuptools as the BDFL himself supports it.
- Buildout support, though you are not required to make use of it.
- README.txt and NEWS.txt automatically included in your package metadata as long_description, thus making them appear in the PyPI page for your project.
See the section titled “Roadmap” below for planned features.
$ pypm install modern-package-template OR $ pip install modern-package-template
To create a Python project called “helloworld”, run the following command in your terminal:
$ paster create -t modern_package helloworld
You could also, optionally, create namespace packages:
$ paster create -t modern_package my.new.package package=my.new.package
Once you create the project layout, the very first thing you must do is to review the contents of README.txt and edit it accordingly.
In the next release, I’d like to add support for Sphinx and Sphinx-PyPI-upload tool, so that developers can upload their sphinx-based documentation to packages.python.org without having to manually do it themselves.
If you like, please help with working on one of the new/open issues.
Source code is derived from the advanced_package template - which is also licensed under GPLv3.
Release date: 14-Mar-2010
- #6: Remove zip_safe from the template questionnaire
- #3: Add README.txt and NEWS.txt as a replacement for long_description
- #1: Add distribute_setup.py to the template
Release date: 14-Feb-2010
- Provide a complete buildout.cfg that is usable
- Use buildout by default
- Use Distribute instead of Setuptools
- Inherit from harobed.paster_template.advanced_package 0.2
Release history Release notifications | RSS feed
Download the file for your platform. If you're not sure which to choose, learn more about installing packages.
|Filename, size||File type||Python version||Upload date||Hashes|
|Filename, size modern-package-template-1.0b1.tar.gz (10.5 kB)||File type Source||Python version None||Upload date||Hashes View|
Hashes for modern-package-template-1.0b1.tar.gz