A modular toolkit for analytics.
NewsLynx Core is an expandable open-source toolkit for building modular content analytics workflows. It provides a fully RESTful API as well as a comprehensive python client and command line interface.
NewsLynx Core was built to power `newslynx-app <http://github.com/newslynx/newslynx-app>`__ but is capable of powering a diverse range of potential applications, as well, including:
- A Mention.net-like pipeline for your personal or company blog.
- A Flexible timeseries store for content metrics which will automatically summarize and compare your data, as well as enable the additional of custom, computed metrics.
- A framework for configuring, scheduling, and monitoring arbitrary python jobs via API.
- A content-extraction API.
For most applications, refer to our installation guide. If you’d like to setup a development environment, following the instructions below for MacOS X. If you’d like to spin up a Virtual Machine, check out our automation guide.
NOTE We recommend using Postgres APP. However, if you prefer the brew distribution, make sure to install it with plpythonu.
$ brew install postgresql --build-from-source --with-python
(Re)create a postgresql database
# If you already have a database called `newslynx`, delete it first $ dropdb newslynx $ createdb newslynx
$ brew install redis
Open another tab in your shell and run:
Installation / Initialization
NOTE we recommend that you install newslynx in a virtual environment.
First clone this repository and move into it’s root directory
$ git clone https://github.com/newslynx/newslynx-core.git $ cd newslynx-core
Initialize a bare install.
[Expert mode] don’t install the app’s default sous chefs, tags, or recipes.
$ make bare_install
Start the server
- In debug mode: newslynx debug
- Debug mode with errors: newslynx debug --raise-errors
- Production gunicorn server: bin/run
Start the task workers
Stop the task workers
Start the cron daemon
$ newslynx cron
newslynx is a complicated applcation, to simplify testing…
This repository contains a Makefile which provides access to the following commands:
- make clean
- clean out cruft generated by pip.
- make clean_sc
- clean out cruft generated by pip in ~/.newslynx/sous-chefs
- make install
- installs newslynx
- will first uninstall newslynx if a version already exists.
- make app_install
- Installs newslynx, initializes the Super User, and adds the Recipes, Tags, and Sous Chefs needed to run newslynx-app
- make bare_install
- Installs newslynx and initializes the Super User
- make test_install
- removes all files under ~/.newslynx
- runs make app_install
- runs pip install -r test-requirements.txt
- creates a new version of newslynx on PyPI
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.
Release history Release notifications
Download the file for your platform. If you're not sure which to choose, learn more about installing packages.
|Filename, size & hash SHA256 hash help||File type||Python version||Upload date|
|newslynx-1.2.2.macosx-10.10-intel.exe (420.2 kB) Copy SHA256 hash SHA256||Windows Installer||any||Oct 7, 2015|
|newslynx-1.2.2.tar.gz (228.2 kB) Copy SHA256 hash SHA256||Source||None||Oct 7, 2015|