Draws Python object reference graphs with graphviz
Python Object Graphs
objgraph is a module that lets you visually explore Python object graphs.
You’ll need graphviz if you want to draw the pretty graphs.
I recommend xdot for interactive use. pip install xdot should suffice; objgraph will automatically look for it in your PATH.
Installation and Documentation
pip install objgraph or download it from PyPI.
Documentation lives at http://mg.pov.lt/objgraph.
I’ve developed a set of functions that eventually became objgraph when I was hunting for memory leaks in a Python program. The whole story – with illustrated examples – is in this series of blog posts:
Avoid creating reference cycles between the stack frame and the local objects variable in by_type, count, and typestats.
Fixes issue 22. Contributed by Erik Bray.
show_refs and show_backrefs now accept a file-like object (via the new output argument) as an alternative to a filename.
Made internal helper methods private. This includes find_chain, show_graph, obj_node_id, obj_label, quote, long_typename, safe_repr, short_repr, gradient, edge_label, and _program_in_path.
Correctly determine the name of old-style classes in count, by_type, and graph drawing functions.
Fixes issue 16. Contributed by Mike Lambert.
Do not expect file objects to have an encoding attribute. Makes objgraph compatible with Eventlet’s monkey-patching.
Fixes issue 6. Contributed by Jakub Stasiak.
- Bugfix: setup.py sdist was broken on Python 2.7 (UnicodeDecodeError in tarfile).
- The filename argument for show_refs and show_backrefs now allows arbitrary image formats, not just PNG. Patch by Riccardo Murri.
- Temporary dot files are now named objgraph-*.dot instead of tmp*.dot.
- Python 3.3 support: no code changes, but some tests started failing because the new and improved dictionary implementation no longer holds references to str objects used as dict keys.
- Added a tox.ini for convenient multi-Python testing.
- Bugfix: non-ASCII characters in object representations would break graph generation on Python 3.x, in some locales (e.g. with LC_ALL=C). Reported and fixed by Stefano Rivera.
- Bugfix: setup.py was broken on Python 3.x
- Bugfix: dot.exe/xdot.exe were not found on Windows (LP#767239).
- Documentation updates: document the forgotten find_ref_chain, update show_chain prototype.
- New function: find_ref_chain.
- New backrefs argument for show_chain.
- New function: get_leaking_objects, based on a blog post by Kristján Valur.
- New objects argument for count, typestats, most_common_types, show_most_common_types, and by_type.
- Edges pointing to function attributes such as __defaults__ or __globals__ are now labeled.
- Edge labels that are not simple strings now show the type.
- Bugfix: ‘0’ and other unsafe characters used in a dictionary key could break graph generation.
- Bugfix: show_refs(…, filename=’graph.dot’) would then go to complain about unrecognized file types and then produce a png.
- Python 3 support, thanks to Stefano Rivera (fixes LP#687601).
- Removed weird weakref special-casing.
- Avoid test failures in uncollectable-garbage.txt (fixes LP#686731).
- Added HACKING.txt (later renamed to HACKING.rst).
- Show frame objects as well (fixes LP#361704).
- New functions: show_growth, show_chain.
- find_backref_chain returns [obj] instead of None when a chain could not be found. This makes show_chain(find_backref_chain(...), ...) not break.
- Show how many references were skipped from the output of show_refs/show_backrefs by specifying too_many.
- Make show_refs descend into modules.
- Do not highlight classes that define a __del__, highlight only instances of those classes.
- Option to show reference counts in show_refs/show_backrefs.
- Add Sphinx documentation and a PyPI long description.
- Compatibility with Python 2.4 and 2.5 (tempfile.NamedTemporaryFile has no delete argument).
- New function: most_common_types.
- Rebuild an sdist with no missing files (fixes LP#606604).
- Added MANIFEST.in and a Makefile to check that setup.py sdist generates source distributions with no files missing.
- Highlight objects with a __del__ method.
- Fixes LP#483411: suggest always passing [obj] to show_refs, show_backrefs, since obj might be a list/tuple.
- Fixes LP#514422: show_refs, show_backrefs don’t create files in the current working directory any more. Instead they accept a filename argument, which can be a .dot file or a .png file. If None or not specified, those functions will try to spawn xdot as before.
- New extra_info argument to graph-generating functions (patch by Thouis Jones, LP#558914).
- setup.py should work with distutils now (LP#604430, thanks to Randy Heydon).
- Project website, public source repository, uploaded to PyPI.
- No code changes.
- New function: show_refs for showing forward references.
- New functions: typestats and show_most_common_types.
- Object boxes are less crammed with useless information (such as IDs).
- Spawns xdot if it is available.
- First public release.
Release history Release notifications | RSS feed
|Filename, size||File type||Python version||Upload date||Hashes|
|Filename, size objgraph-2.0.1.tar.gz (624.1 kB)||File type Source||Python version None||Upload date||Hashes View|