Adapt Odoo to discovers installed addons automatically
Enhance Odoo to automatically discover available addons without the need of the --addons-path option.
For Odoo 8 and 9, it works by looking at addons in the odoo_addons namespace package. For Odoo 10 and 11, it works by looking for odoo/addons directories in PYTHONPATH.
Addons that install this way can be packaged with the help of setuptools-odoo.
How to install
- Create a virtualenv and make sure you have a recent version of pip (by running pip install -U pip or using get-pip.py).
- Install Odoo in your virtualenv with the standard Odoo installation procedure (a good way is to run pip install -e . from the Odoo root directory).
- Make sure Odoo is installed correctly:
- pip list must show odoo.
- for Odoo 8 and 9, running python -c "import openerp.api" and openerp-server must work
- for Odoo 10 and 11, running python -c "import odoo.api" and odoo must work
- Install this package (pip install odoo-autodiscover).
How to use
- Create and/or install odoo addons in the odoo/addons namespace (for Odoo 10 and 11) or the odoo_addons namespace (for Odoo 8 and 9), possibly with the help of the setuptools-odoo package.
- Run odoo as usual and notice the addons path is extended automatically.
The following commands install Odoo 8.0 nightly, then install base_import_async pulling all required dependencies automatically (ie connector).
It uses pre-built wheel packages for OCA addons from pypi.
# create and activate a virtualenv virtualenv venv . ./venv/bin/activate # install Odoo 8.0 nightly pip install -r https://raw.githubusercontent.com/odoo/odoo/8.0/requirements.txt pip install https://nightly.odoo.com/8.0/nightly/src/odoo_8.0.latest.zip # install odoo-autodiscover pip install odoo-autodiscover # install base_import_async from pypi pip install odoo8-addon-base_import_async --pre # start odoo openerp-server
At this point, you should see in the Odoo log that the site-packages directory appears in the addons path.
You can easily install additional addons. For example, should you like to have an Odoo 8 shell, using the OCA shell module, simply pip install the module:
pip install odoo8-addon-shell openerp-server shell
To view addon packages that are installed in your virtualenv, simply use pip list | grep odoo<8|9|10>-addon- (note official addons are part of the odoo package).
With Odoo 8 and 9 it’s not possible to make openerp.addons a namespace package (because openerp/__init__.py contains code), we use a pseudo-package named odoo_addons for the sole purpose of discovering addons installed with setuptools in that namespace. odoo_addons is not intended to be imported as the Odoo import hook will make sure all addons can be imported from openerp.addons as usual.
With Odoo 10, we attempted to use pkg_resource style namespace packages. It worked fine until setuptools 31, at which point we had to cope with https://github.com/acsone/setuptools-odoo/issues/10. Hence the workaround in odoo-autodiscover 2.0.
For Odoo 11 under Python 3, we hope we can make odoo-autodiscover obsolete again, this is the purpose of https://github.com/odoo/odoo/pull/19517.
See https://packaging.python.org/guides/packaging-namespace-packages/ for more information about namespace packages.
- Stéphane Bidoul (ACSONE)
Many thanks to Daniel Reis who cleared the path, and Laurent Mignon who convinced me it was possible to do it using standard Python setup tools and had the idea of the odoo_addons namespace package.
- better deprecation warnings for autodiscover scripts
- improvements to setup.py and readme
- add test for Odoo 11 and python 3 where odoo-autodiscover is not necessary
- major rewrite: instead of adapted startup scripts that monkey patch Odoo, use a post import hook that automatically does the job as soon as odoo or openerp is imported.
- for Odoo 10 and 11, do not rely on namespace packages, but instead look for odoo/addons directories in PYTHONPATH
- automated tests
- Odoo 10 support, to work around https://github.com/acsone/setuptools-odoo/issues/10
- preliminary Odoo 11 support
- odoo-autodiscover is built-in Odoo 10!
- [IMP] add openerp-gevent-autodiscover, and monkey patch the prefork server to launch that script instead of openerp-gevent.
- [FIX] odoo-autodiscover.py: more reliable way to discover and import the official odoo.py script, so it will now work when Odoo is installed from the deb package
- initial stable release
Release history Release notifications
Download the file for your platform. If you're not sure which to choose, learn more about installing packages.
|Filename, size||File type||Python version||Upload date||Hashes|
|Filename, size odoo-autodiscover-2.0.0.tar.gz (16.5 kB)||File type Source||Python version None||Upload date||Hashes View hashes|