Tools for OpenStack Documentation
This repository contains tools used by the OpenStack Documentation project.
For more details, see the OpenStack Documentation wiki page.
Apache Maven must be installed to build the documentation.
To install Maven 3 for Ubuntu 12.04 and later, and Debian wheezy and later:
apt-get install maven
yum install maven3
This package needs a few external dependencies including lxml. If you do not have lxml installed, you can either install python-lxml or have it installed automatically and build from sources. To build lxml from sources, you need a C compiler and the xml and xslt development packages installed.
To install python-lxml, execute the following based on your distribution.
yum install python-lxml
zypper in python-lxml
apt-get install python-lxml
For building from source, install the dependencies of lxml.
zypper in libxslt-devel
apt-get install libxml2-dev libxslt-dev
Updating RNG schema files
The repository contains in the directory os_doc_tools/resources a local copy of some RNG schema files so that they do not need to be downloaded each time for validation of XML and WADL files.
Please see the README.txt in the directory for details on where these files come from.
Publishing of books
If you run the openstack-doc-test --check-build, it will copy all the books to the directory publish-docs in the top-level directory of your repository.
By default, it outputs a directory with the same name as the directory where the pom.xml file lives in, such as admin-guide-cloud. You can also check the output of the build job for the name.
Some books need special treatment and there are three options you can set in the file doc-test.conf:
- book - the name of a book that needs special treatment
- target_dir - the path of subdirectory starting at target that is the root for publishing
- publish_dir - a new name to publish a book under
As an example, to publish the compute-api version 2 in the directory publish-docs/api/openstack-compute/2, use:
book = openstack-compute-api-2 target_dir = target/docbkx/webhelp/api/openstack-compute/2 publish_dir = api/openstack-compute/2
Note that these options can be specified multiple times and should always be used this way. You do not need to set publish_dir but if you set it, you need to use it every time.
Also note that these are optional settings, the logic in the tool is sufficient for many of the books.
Fixes for openstack-doc-test:
- openstack-doc-test now validates JSON files for well-formed-ness and whitespace.
- Create proper chapter title for markdown files.
- Ignore publish-docs directory completely.
- Do not check for xml:ids in wadl resource.
- New option build_file_excepetion to ignore invalid XML files for dependency checking in build and syntax checks.
Fixes for autodoc-tools to sanitize values and handle projects.
Client version number is output by openstack-auto-commands.
Fixes for openstack-doc-test:
- Fix error handling, now really abort if an error occurs.
- Avoid races in initial maven setup that broke build.
- Add –parallel/noparallel flags to disable parallel building.
- Fix openstack-doc-test building of image-api.
- Fix publishing of api-ref.
- Improve markdown conversion.
- Improved openstack-auto-commands output
- Fix script invocation in openstack-doc-test.
- Fix openstack-doc-test niceness and syntax checks that always failed in api projects.
- Fix building of image-api-v2
- Fix building of identity-api and image-api books.
- Add option –debug.
- Generate log file for each build.
- Do not install build-ha-guide.sh and markdown-docbook.sh in /usr/bin, use special scripts dir instead.
- Allow to configure the directory used under publish-doc
generatedocbook and generatepot have been merged into a single file, the command has been renamed to openstack-generate-docbook/openstack-generate-pot. For compatibility, wrapper scripts are installed that will be removed in version 0.8.
- Fix python packaging bugs that prevented sitepackages usage and installed .gitignore in packages
- Test that resources in wadl files have an xml:id (lp:bug 1275007).
- Improve formatting of python command line clients (lp:bug 1274699).
- Copy all generated books to directory publish-docs in the git top-level (lp:blueprint draft-docs-on-docs-draft).
- Requires now a config file in top-level git directory named doc-test.conf.
- Allow building of translated manuals, these need to be setup first with “generatedocbook -l LANGUAGE -b BOOK”.
- New option –exceptions-file to pass list of files to ignore completely.
- Major improvements for automatic generation of option tables.
- New tool openstack-auto-commands to document python command line clients.
- Fixes path for automated translation toolchain to fix lp:bug 1216153.
- Validates .xsd .xsl and.xjb files in addition to .xml.
- Fixes validation of WADL files to validate properly against XML schema.
- Enables local copies of RNG schema for validation.
- Enables ignoring directories when checking.
Our community welcomes all people interested in open source cloud computing, and encourages you to join the OpenStack Foundation. The best way to get involved with the community is to talk with others online or at a meetup and offer contributions through our processes, the OpenStack wiki, blogs, or on IRC at #openstack on irc.freenode.net.
We welcome all types of contributions, from blueprint designs to documentation to testing to deployment scripts.
If you would like to contribute to the development, you must follow the steps in the “If you’re a developer, start here” section of this page:
Once those steps have been completed, changes to OpenStack should be submitted for review via the Gerrit tool, following the workflow documented at:
Pull requests submitted through GitHub will be ignored.
Bugs should be filed on Launchpad, not GitHub: