Tools for updating software..
The ox:sub:`update <https://github.com/emin63/ox_update>`__ package provides some tools to keep your machine up to date.
You can install via the usual pip install ox_update. If you want to install and be able to edit your installation, you may consider doing something like pip install --editable ox_update.
You can see the list of possible commands via
ox_update check --help
One of the most useful commands is ox_update check. This will check your Ubuntu installation to see if you have the latest security updates installed. If you do, then nothing happens. If you have not done apt update recently or you do NOT have the latest packages installed, then you will be notified.
You can control the notification methods and how many days have passed since you did apt update using command line options. For example, doing
ox_update check --notifiers echo --age-in-days 7
would not notify you provided that you have done apt update within 7 days. If your packages are stale, the notification will just print a message. See the Notifiers section for notification options.
There are a variety of ways to get notifications:
- echo: Just echoes notification to stdout.
- email: Will send you an email provided you specify the following:
- OX_UPDATE_EMAIL_TO: A comma separated list of email addresses (e.g., email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org,email@example.com) to send email to. If not set, will attempt to lookup from environment variable.
- OX_UPDATE_EMAIL_FROM: Sending email address. If not set, will attempt to lookup from environment variable.
- OX_UPDATE_GMAIL_PASSWD: A password to use if you want to use gmail as the SMTP relay to send mail from. This password should correspond to the username in OX_UPDATE_EMAIL_FROM.
- OX_UPDATE_SES_PROFILE: If provided and email notifier is requested, will use this to send email via AWS SES. If not set, will attempt lookup from environment.
- IMPORTANT: Either OX_UPDATE_SES_PROFILE or OX_UPDATE_GMAIL_PASSWD is required to send emails.
- loginfo: Will use Python’s logging.info to send notification. This can be useful if you do not want the notifications in stdout but in stderr.
Download the file for your platform. If you're not sure which to choose, learn more about installing packages.
|Filename, size||File type||Python version||Upload date||Hashes|
|Filename, size ox_update-0.2.0.tar.gz (8.1 kB)||File type Source||Python version None||Upload date||Hashes View|