Skip to main content

A module for generating lists of related dieties

Project description

Pantheon Generator

This library procedurally generates Gods with internally-coherent domains, and Pantheons comprising generations of Gods that feel related to one another. To achieve a good mix of cohesiveness and novelty, it employs the metaphor of sexual reproduction:

  • Words are chromosomes.
  • A genome is a list of 46 words.
  • A gamete (an egg or sperm) is a list of 23 words.
  • A gene pool is a list of tokens drawn from different texts.
  • Asexual reproduction occurs when a user generates a God from two strings.
  • Sexual reproduction occurs when a user generates a Pantheon from two Gods.

How To Use

Installation

python3 -m venv env

pip install pantheon-generator

python -m spacy download en_core_web_md

Interaction

Generate individual Gods with seeder words:

God(“milk”,”honey”)

Generate Pantheons with two God objects:

Pantheon(God, God)

Note: Gods have chromosomes and you must have an XX and an XY to spawn a Pantheon. That said, gender != chromosomes so it is possible to have two fathers of creation, or two mothers of creation, or non-binary divine beings as the parents of your pantheon.

How Gods Spawn

Given two Gods, one XX egg donor and one XY sperm donor

  1. Select a random word from the God.genome of the egg donor.
  2. Use spaCy to pull 23 related words from the gene pool. This is the egg.
  3. Select a random word from the God.genome of the sperm donor.
  4. Use spaCy to pull 23 related words from the gene pool. This is the sperm.
  5. Add the egg and sperm together. This list of 46 words is the genome for the new God.

Note: because a God’s genome is populated with words related to seeds from its parents’ genomes, a God feels genetically related to its parents. But, because the seeds are selected at random from the parents’ genomes, there’s room for genetic drift.

How Pantheons Spawn

Given two Gods, one XX egg donor and one XY sperm donor, and a number of generations N

  1. Declare a list of egg donors and a list of sperm donors.
  2. Iterate N times, once for each generation…
  3. At the start of each generation breed the egg donors.
  4. At the end of each generation, add mature offspring to the breeding pool.
  5. At the end of each generation, remove elder Gods from the breeding pool.

More Features

The model blends randomness and probability to echo the beauty of nature.

Gender

There’s a 7% chance a God will be transgendered and a 3% chance a God will be non- gendered or gender-queer. For this reason the model refers to ‘egg donors’ and ‘sperm donors’ not ‘mothers’ and ‘fathers’. Two male Gods can procreate, as can two female Gods, or a gender-queer God and another God, as long as one parent is XX and one is XY.

Sex

When a new God spawns, its sex chromosomes are chosen at random. It’s possible for several Gods in a row to be XX or XY. An unexpected consequence of this: some Pantheons grow much faster than others. The rate of growth is determined by the number of XX gods born in each generation.

Mutation

The related words that spaCy finds in a list of plural nouns often feel “more related” than the ones it finds in a list of gerunds. This is just something I observed. 80% of the time this model pulls gametes from primary_tokens, which is a list of NNS; the other 20% of the time it pulls gametes from secondary_tokens, which is a list of VBG. The result is some children look a lot like their parents and some look very different; there’s variety in how far the apple falls from the tree.

Power Level

Many traditions describe old gods as more powerful than young gods. When two Gods procreate there’s a 30% chance their offspring will be a ‘demi-god’ rather than a full blown god. That chance jumps to 50% when a ‘god’ and ‘demi-god’ procreate, and when two ‘demi-gods’ procreate there’s a 25% chance their offspring will be a lowly human.

Twinning

20% of the time coupling produces twins; the other 80% of the time it produces a single child.

Epithets

Most gods (55%) represent 3 domains: God of X, Y, and Z. Slightly fewer gods (35%) represent two domains: God of X and Y. The remaining gods represent 1 or 4 domains.

Project details


Download files

Download the file for your platform. If you're not sure which to choose, learn more about installing packages.

Files for pantheon-generator, version 2.0.0
Filename, size File type Python version Upload date Hashes
Filename, size pantheon_generator-2.0.0-py3-none-any.whl (6.0 MB) File type Wheel Python version py3 Upload date Hashes View hashes

Supported by

Elastic Elastic Search Pingdom Pingdom Monitoring Google Google BigQuery Sentry Sentry Error logging AWS AWS Cloud computing DataDog DataDog Monitoring Fastly Fastly CDN SignalFx SignalFx Supporter DigiCert DigiCert EV certificate StatusPage StatusPage Status page