A clone of pdb, fast and with the remote debugging and attach features.
- Implement the most recent Python 3 features of pdb, as defined in the Python 3 pdb documentation. The pdb command line interface remains unchanged except for the new detach and thread pdb commands.
- Improve significantly pdb performance. With breakpoints, pdb-clone runs just below the speed of the interpreter while pdb runs 10 to 100 times slower than the interpreter, see Performances.
- Extend pdb with remote debugging. A remote debugging session may be started when the program stops at a pdb.set_trace_remote() hard-coded breakpoint, or at any time and multiple times by attaching to the process main thread. See RemoteDebugging
- Fix pdb long standing bugs entered in the Python issue tracker, see the News.
- Add a bdb comprehensive test suite (more than 70 tests) and run both pdb and bdb test suites.
pdb-clone runs the same source code on all the supported versions of Python, which are:
- Python 3: from version 3.2 onward.
- Python 2: version 2.7.
See also the the project home page.
Report bugs to the issue tracker.
Invoke pdb-clone as a script to debug other scripts. For example:
$ pdb-clone myscript.py
Or use one of the different ways of running pdb described in the pdb documentation and replace:
from pdb_clone import pdb