Plain text backed web based markdown note taking, cloud code editor and knowledge base building app
Pervane | Demo | Install & Run | Wiki | Discuss
Pervane is a plain text file based note taking and knowledge base building tool. It doubles as simple file server to render given directories files in web browser while it can be used as a cloud IDE too with awesome code highlighting. It's like python's built-in SimpleHTTPServer but a little bit feature richer like WYSIWYG note taking experience, sidebar with infinite number of nesting, blazing fast text search, file moving, creating from the browser etc.
Main use case is to create, edit, serve and search the markdown notes in combination with example source files.
If you are using plain text based note taking, this can be helpful for adhoc mediums like operating systems which don't have large desktop app ecosystem like ChromeOS or mobile OS like Android and iOS.
- Completely private, your files, your computer, no database, no installation (apart from some general python packages).
- Self hosted (working on a managed version if anyone is interested, drop a messsage!)
- Notes are stored as plain text files with the names given by yourself. Pervane doesn't rename automatically.
- Extremely fast UI with quick note switches.
- Tabbed UI.
- No added metadata files etc. Just globs your files, caches for N seconds and creates the file tree.
- Source of truth is your own file system so you can use your favorite markdown editor to modify your notes: QOwnNotes, VSCode, Sublime Text etc.
- Ignore some files in order not to be shown on the sidebar.
- Flask based server, totally hackable, just modify, it's all yours.
- Minimal dependencies, single binary.
- Uses silver searcher (ag) for searching in an instant throughout the whole folder.
- Thanks to ag, no indexing or prework is done for search. You can just start using Pervane with one line command.
- File tree with proper infinite number of nesting, works well for hierarchical note taking and knowledge base building.
- Cookie based authentication.
- No stats collection, all private.
- Rich text editing experience thanks to editor.md.
- Spell checker
- Find an replace within the editor.
- Hide/show preview
- Full screen editing mode with F11 or toolbar
- Hide/show toolbar
- Lots of themes thanks to editor.md
- Move files in between directories with drag & drop functionality.
- Keyboard shortcuts
- Quick fuzzy file name search
- Edit code notes directly
- Drag & Drop file upload in anywhere in the page
- Image/Video rendering in case you they are in the directory.
- Directory browser with breadcrumb paths.
- TeX/KaTeX, emoji, task list support.
- WYSIWYG editor
- Toggle-able sidebar.
- Dark mode by default with many themes like monokai, solarized etc.
- Side-by-side markdown preview with sync scroll.
- Full screen Zen mode for writing.
All of the screenshots and more video are located in Pervane Wiki.
Install via pip
screen pip install pervane pervane --dir=example/
When you go to localhost:5000, you need to register. Pervane only accepts 1 user. So your notes will only be visible by this single user.
⚠️ If you see a server error, delete your cookies and retry.
Package details here: https://pypi.org/project/pervane/
You can run Pervane also with Docker or build it from source. Please visit Pervane Wiki for more installation options.
# Init: git clone https://github.com/hakanu/pervane.git && cd pervane # Set up local env. virtualenv -p python3 env source env/bin/activate pip install -r requirements.txt # Run python3 pervane/serve.py --debug=true
Keep the engine running
Release history Release notifications | RSS feed
Download the file for your platform. If you're not sure which to choose, learn more about installing packages.
|Filename, size||File type||Python version||Upload date||Hashes|
|Filename, size pervane-0.0.74-py3-none-any.whl (1.3 MB)||File type Wheel||Python version py3||Upload date||Hashes View|
|Filename, size pervane-0.0.74.tar.gz (1.2 MB)||File type Source||Python version None||Upload date||Hashes View|