.. raw:: html
<a href="http://badge.fury.io/py/piecutter"><img src="https://badge.fury.io/py/piecutter.png"></a>
<a href="https://travis-ci.org/diecutter/piecutter"><img src="https://travis-ci.org/diecutter/piecutter.png?branch=master"></a>
<a href="https://crate.io/packages/piecutter?version=latest"><img src="https://pypip.in/d/piecutter/badge.png"></a>
`piecutter` is a template rendering framework, written in `Python`_.
Leitmotiv: **render templates against context**, wherever the templates,
whatever the template engine.
`piecutter` is under active development.
**Yesterday**, `piecutter` was the core of `diecutter`_.
As `diecutter`'s authors, we think `diecutter` has great features related to
templates and file generation. We wanted to share it with a larger audience.
So we just packaged it as a standalone library.
And we are planning to make it better as soon as possible.
`Join us`_ if you like the features ;)
Here are some of our motivations:
* third-party projects can use `piecutter`. They do not have to depend on
`diecutter`, which embeds some specific code related to its web service.
* as a standalone library, `piecutter` should be easier to maintain and
* `piecutter` is more open than `diecutter`. It can have a larger community.
It also may converge with similar tools.
**Today**, `piecutter` is tied to `diecutter` implementation. The API
reflects `diecutter`'s architecture and concepts, which may sound obscure for
**Tomorrow**, we are planning to improve `piecutter`. As an example, we think
the API should be refactored, with simplicity in mind.
* Simple API: render templates against context.
* Support multiple template engines: `Jinja2`_ and `Django`_ for now. Later:
`Cheetah`_ and even non-Python template engines such as Ruby's `ERB`_.
* Render files and directories.
* Load templates from almost everywhere: local filesystem and github.com for
now. Later: Django storages...
* Do what you want with generated content: write to local filesystem, generate
* Documentation: https://piecutter.readthedocs.org
* PyPI page: http://pypi.python.org/pypi/piecutter
* Bugtracker: https://github.com/diecutter/piecutter/issues
* Changelog: https://piecutter.readthedocs.org/en/latest/about/changelog.html
* Roadmap: https://github.com/diecutter/piecutter/issues/milestones
* Code repository: https://github.com/diecutter/piecutter
* Continuous integration: https://travis-ci.org/diecutter/piecutter
.. _`Python`: https://python.org
.. _`diecutter`: http://diecutter.io
.. _`join us`: https://piecutter.readthedocs.org/en/latest/contributing.html
.. _`Jinja2`: http://jinja.pocoo.org/
.. _`Django`: https://djangoproject.com
.. _`Cheetah`: http://pythonhosted.org/Cheetah/
.. _`ERB`: http://ruby-doc.org/
TODO: Brief introduction on what you do with files - including link to relevant help section.