Find packages that should be in requirements for a project
It happens: you start using a module in your project and it works and you don’t realise that it’s only being included in your virtualenv because it’s a dependency of a package you’re using. This tool finds those modules so you can include them in the requirements.txt for the project.
Assuming your project follows a layout like the suggested sample project:
setup.py setup.cfg requirements.txt sample/__init__.py sample/sample.py sample/tests/test_sample.py
Basic usage, running in your project directory:
<activate virtualenv for your project> pip-missing-reqs --ignore-file=sample/tests/* sample
This will find all imports in the code in “sample” and check that the packages those modules belong to are in the requirements.txt file.
Sample tox.ini configuration
To make your life easier, copy something like this into your tox.ini:
[testenv:pip-missing-reqs] deps=-rrequirements.txt commands=pip-missing-reqs --ignore-file=sample/tests/* sample
Excluding test files (or others) from this check
Your test files will sometimes be present in the same directory as your application source (“sample” in the above examples). The requirements for those tests generally should not be in the requirements.txt file, and you don’t want this tool to generate false hits for those.
You may exclude those test files from your check using the –ignore-file option (shorthand is -f). Multiple instances of the option are allowed.
Excluding modules from the check
If your project has modules which are conditionally imported, or requirements which are conditionally included, you may exclude certain modules from the check by name (or glob pattern) using –ignore-module (shorthand is -m):
# ignore the module spam pip-missing-reqs --ignore-module=spam sample # ignore the whole package spam as well pip-missing-reqs --ignore-module=spam --ignore-module=spam.* sample
- tweak to debug output
- add debug (very verbose) run output
- add header to output to make it clearer when in a larger test run
- fix tests and self-test
- add –version
- remove debug print from released code lol
- fix program to generate exit code useful for testing
- corrected version of vendored search_packages_info() from pip
- handle relative imports
- fixed handling of import from __future__
- self-tested and added own requirements.txt
- cleaned up usage to require a file or directory to scan (rather than defaulting to “.”)
- vendored code from pip 1.6dev which fixes bug in search_packages_info until pip 1.6 is released
- implemented –ignore-module