Control various media players from a single command line interface.
player_do provides a simple command line interface to control whatever media player is running on your computer.
It is designed to allow you to configure the media buttons on your keyboard (play, pause, next etc.) to Do The Right Thing without having to change anything if you switch to a different media player.
It also includes commands ‘install_gnome’,’install_mate’, ‘install_gnome3’, and ‘install_cinnamon’ to help set up keyboard shortcuts initially on GNOME2/Mate/GNOME3/Cinnamon. It can, however, be used with any system where you can map keyboard shortcuts to commands.
The currently supported media players can be seen by running ‘player_do help’. Those that have been tested include the following:
- shell-fm (0.8 and later)
- VLC (2.0 and later)
Many other players will be supported due to support for the MPRIS DBUS protocol, without a specific backend. If you only need support for those players, consider using MPRIS-remote.
To add more supported programs, see the existing code in the ‘backends’ directory. Patches gratefully received!
Source code: http://bitbucket.org/spookylukey/playerdo/src
Bug tracking: http://bitbucket.org/spookylukey/playerdo/issues
- New ‘install_cinnamon’ command to properly support Cinnamon 2.0 and higher.
- Fixed some Python 3 compatibility issues, dropped support for Python < 2.7
- new command ‘is_playing’.
- shell-fm support now requires version 0.8
- Added support for installing shortcuts in Mate and GNOME3/Cinnamon
- Fixed small bug introduced in 0.6
- Added support for cmus
- Fixed incorrect use of MPRIS2 protocol that caused VLC 2.0 to crash. Thanks to orbisvicis for the very helpful bug report and patch.
- Fixed some Python 3 incompatibilities
- Fixed crash if DBus library is not installed
- Fixed support for newer version of Banshee
- Added support for quodlibet
- Fixed support for Guayadeque
- Added support for MPRIS2 players
- Added install_gnome command to help set up keyboard shortcuts on GNOME
- Eliminated dependency on shc.hs for the shell-fm backend
- Various bug fixes/optimisations
- Fixed fatal packaging bug!
- Improved help text for MPRIS players (lists currently running players).
- Made dbus dependency optional
- Support for Python 3 via 2to3.
- Added support for Banshee.
- Implemented ‘test’ command where needed.
- Small bug fixes.
- Initial release.
- Support for any MPRIS player, shell-fm, mocp and rhythmbox.