Formlib-based controlpanels for Plone.
This package provides various control panels for Plone and some infrastrucuture to make it as easy as possible to create those with the help of zope.formlib.
The general approach taken is to re-use as much of formlib as possible. This lead to the decision to use formlib’s EditForm’s functionality, as these provide the most automation found in formlib today.
As a result of this decision we needed to take a slightly unconventional approach as EditForm’s only work on one single context, as they are targeted at editing content objects, which usually are available as one context only.
Control panels on the other side most commonly present settings from various sources and group these in a user-friendly way. In order to still be able to use EditForm’s we introduce one abstract adapter as a middleware layer per control panel, that is used as the one context formlib’s EditForm’s need but internally pulls in the various settings from all the possible sources and pushes them back to the right places again.
Following this approach a control panel consists of at least three classes:
An interface that describes the settings to be available in the control panel with the help of zope.schema. This gives us automatic type checking and some other basic validation of the settings. It also lets us specify vocabularies to be used for Choice-type properties.
An adapter implementing the above interface, exposing all the different settings as properties. As we don’t want to have those control panels available all over the place, we restrict them to adapt the ‘IPloneSiteRoot’ only. Sometimes we use the ‘SchemaAdapterBase’ class from CMFDefault.formlib and the property wrapper ‘ProxyFieldProperty’ to automatically convert the values found in our site to the types expected by formlib and vica versa. For example we often need to store tuples while formlib expects sets, store encoded strings in site encoding rather than unicode or use Zope2’s DateTime class instead of Python’s datetime package.
And finally the form itself. We can use the common base class ‘ControlPanelForm’ to provide us with a consistent look and feel for all control panels. This is accomplished by using the ‘control-panel.pt’ template. For most cases this should be the only template that needs to be written.
The ‘ControlPanelForm’ also provides us with two common actions and as a side effect overrides the ‘handle_edit_action’ in a Zope2-compatible way, where the default implementation needs the current locale to be present as part of the REQUEST, which is not the case in a Zope2 environment so far.
The form is also the place to specify custom widgets for some properties. There are some custom widgets available in the widgets.py module in this package.
While the above-mentioned works pretty well for simple cases it is not yet clear if it will work for complex control panels in the same way. Especially forms that use a multitude of actions (for example user/group management) or consist of more than one ‘tab’ (for example kupu but also smart folder settings) are not easily implemented so far.
Hopefully we will be able to provide common helper classes and templates for those complex cases as well, though.
1.1.2 - August 18, 2008
- Use the MultiCheckBoxWidget from plone.app.form that uses <label>s to be accessible. This closes http://dev.plone.org/plone/ticket/7211 [csenger]
- Refactor handling of versioning policies in the types control panel: allow the admin to choose from three common versioning policies (no versioning, manual versioning and automatic versioning) which map to CMFEditions settings. [wichert]
- Added checkbox for enabling/disabling inline editing. [fschulze]
- Simplified the mail control panel to present all information on one tab. In case of validation errors the panel behaved in most unintuitive ways. This closes http://dev.plone.org/plone/ticket/7425, http://dev.plone.org/plone/ticket/7694 and http://dev.plone.org/plone/ticket/6916. [hannosch]
1.1.1 - June 2, 2008
- Declare dependencies for plone.* packages. [wichert]
- Reformat documentation in reST and include it in the package description. [wichert]
- Fix nested forms in RAMCache control panel. [witsch]
1.1 - April 19. 2008
- Fixed saving of esmtp username and password in SecureMailHost [csenger]
- Added new IPloneControlPanelView marker interface and let all views and forms implement it. [hannosch]
- Added new yet unused controlpanel overview page. [hannosch]
- Fix invalid leading space in all ‘Up to Site Setup’ links. [wichert]
- Added authenticator token and verification calls for CSRF protection. [witsch]
1.0.5 - March 26, 2008
- Enable self registration flag in security control panel was broken in some cases with custom roles. Patch provided by davidray, thx! This closes http://dev.plone.org/plone/ticket/7690. [hannosch]
- Added an IConfigurationChangedEvent which is fired on each successful change of any configuration setting and a subscriber which empties all RAM caches when some configuration changed. This closes http://dev.plone.org/plone/ticket/7008. [hannosch]
1.0.4 - February 13, 2008
- Take advantage of NORMALIZE_WHITESPACE to be independent of the tidy_html transform. [shh42]
- Fixed vocabulary in skins control panel to support proper i18n. This closes http://dev.plone.org/plone/ticket/7766. [hannosch]
- Changed import of FormFieldsets to avoid a deprecation warning. [hannosch]
- Fixed filter control panel tests. [hannosch]
1.0.3 - November 30, 2007
- Fixed description in filter control panel to be recognizable by i18ndude. [hannosch]
- Protected the maintenance control panel with the View management screens permission at the Zope root folder. This closes http://dev.plone.org/plone/ticket/6973. [hannosch]
1.0.2 - October 7, 2007
1.0.1 - September 10, 2007
- Updated help text to match implementation. [fschulze]
- Fixed test in site.txt to work in Zope 2.11. [hannosch]
- If we are looking at settings for the default workflow lookup the real workflow. This fixes #6843 (yes, that bug again). [wichert]
- Another small string update while we’re at it. [limi]
1.0 - August 14, 2007
- If we are looking at settings for the default workflow lookup the real workflow. This fixes http://dev.plone.org/plone/ticket/6843 (yes, that bug again). [wichert]
- Fixed the translation of type names on the search and markup control panels. This refs http://dev.plone.org/plone/ticket/6911. [hannosch]
- The UI allowed to disable country-specific language variants even if one was still active as the default language. You get a nice error message now. This closes http://dev.plone.org/plone/ticket/6862. [hannosch]
- Use checkboxes instead of a evil MultiSelect for the wiki settings. This closes http://dev.plone.org/plone/ticket/6872 for real. [hannosch]
- Internationalized the workflow part of the types control panel. All descriptions, states and titles should be translated now. [hannosch]
- Fixed order of types in the dropdown. We sort by translated title now. [hannosch]
- When updating the default workflow do not reset the workflow for types using the default workflow to the new default workflow. This fixes the last part of http://dev.plone.org/plone/ticket/6843. [wichert]
- Handle changing the workflow from a type to the default workflow if the default workflow is the same as the previous workflow correctly. This fixes part of http://dev.plone.org/plone/ticket/6843. [wichert]
- When we remap the default workflow change the default workflow in the workflow tool as well. This fixes part of http://dev.plone.org/plone/ticket/6843. [wichert]
- Remapping the “(Default)” workflow to No Workflow didn’t work. Fixes http://dev.plone.org/plone/ticket/6818. [optilude]
- Remapping to “No Workflow” resulted in an error, fixed. Thanks to rsantos for the patch. Fixes http://dev.plone.org/plone/ticket/6819. [limi]
- Made column checkbox widget easily subclassable for being able to use it with different amount of columns from other packages. [davconvent]
1.0rc3 - July 28, 2007
- Fixed missing history entries. [hannosch]
1.0rc2 - July 27, 2007
- Add a description to the no-workflow fallback. This fixes http://dev.plone.org/plone/ticket/6812. [wichert]
- Filter control panel doesn’t warn you when you haven’t saved your changes Added enableUnloadFormProtection class to the control panel form. This references http://dev.plone.org/plone/ticket/6654. [duncan]
- Removed lots of irrelevant options from the language control panel. The selection of the default language could use a simpler widget, but it’s too late to change that now. All advanced options should be made available through control panels in add-ons which actually use these settings. This closes http://dev.plone.org/plone/ticket/6784. [hannosch]
- Fixed various bugs in the LanguageTableWidget. Removed broken code that tried to show the country flags. Showing 150 flags is rather excessive. This closes http://dev.plone.org/plone/ticket/6814. [hannosch]
- Removed multilingual content settings from the language control panel. These don’t have any effect in a standard Plone site. LinguaPlone / plone.app.multilingual features its own control panel. [hannosch]
1.0rc1 - July 9, 2007
- Do not show really user unfriendly types anymore in the search and types control panels. This closes http://dev.plone.org/plone/ticket/6292. [hannosch]
- Fixed another spelling error on the filter control panel. This closes http://dev.plone.org/plone/ticket/6653. [hannosch]
- Fixed two spelling errors on the filter control panel. This closes http://dev.plone.org/plone/ticket/6644. [hannosch]
- Added and used the new LanguageTableWidget for the available language listing. [hannosch]
- Use the new LanguageDropdownChoiceWidget for the default language field. [hannosch]
- Added first working version of the new language control panel. It still needs two new locale aware widgets for the language listings. This refs http://dev.plone.org/plone/ticket/5442. [hannosch]
- Added support for optional descriptions on fieldsets. [hannosch]
- Added RAMCache control panel. You can invoke it via http://portal/@@ramcache-controlpanel. [hannosch]
- Localized the calendar control panel weekday names based on the Zope 3 locales information, which is available from the portal_state view. [hannosch]
- Removed title customization from the types control panel. This is currently not possible in any i18n-safe way. This closes http://dev.plone.org/plone/ticket/6551. [hannosch]
1.0b5 - May 5, 2007
- Fixed dummy on_save method to accept the data argument. [hannosch]
1.0b4 - May 5, 2007
- Pass data to the on-save template method. [optilude]
- Add a callback method from the save button handler. This makes it easier to react when saving is finished (successfully) - otherwise, the schema adapter properties are simple set one-by-one and you can’t do anything when form saving is complete. The alternative is to override the button handler, but then we lose some of the consistency that plone.app.form tries to introduce. [optilude]
- Wording. [limi]
1.0b3 - May 1, 2007
- Adjusted the mail control panel to store the email settings on the portal root intead of in the site properties. This closes http://dev.plone.org/plone/ticket/6173. [hannosch]
1.0b2 - March 23, 2007
- Spelling corrections and wording. [limi]
- Replace getToolByNames by getUtility. [hannosch]
1.0b1 - March 5, 2007
- Lots more control panels. [hannosch, optilude, limi, siebo, aclark, jladage, andrewb]
1.0a2 - February 6, 2007
- Additional control panels. [tomster, whit]
- Groundwork and first control panels. [hannosch]