check-out/check-in staging for Plone
iterate is a Plone add-on that allows one to utilize a checkin / checkout procedure for content editing. It integrates in versioning, locking, and utilizes Zope technology like adapters and events to allow for easy customization.
- versioning utilizing cmf editions
- locking using zope dav locks
- pluggable behavior for policies via adapters
- observable behavior via events
- specialized handling for archetypes references
- simple, clean integration with the plone user interface
iterate was designed to solve/enable the following use cases.
Collaborative Document Editing Scenario
Workgroup or person working on a document, the ability to checkout and lock a document allows for a editing cycle, without concern of overwrites, and with an audit trail of versions.
Publish/Modify/Review Cycles on a CMS
A common theme in content management, is publishing a web document, and then needing to revise it but not to change the published web content, till the modified document has undergone a review cycle.
Iterate Lifecycle via the User Interface
iterate integrates with the plone user interface mainly through the actions menu. it adds three conditional actions to the menu.. checkout, checkin, and cancel checkout.
on this form a user is asked to which location they wish to checkout the current content, the vocabulary of checkouts is overridable via template customization and is currently the current folder, and the user’s home folder. if the content is not yet versioned, versioning is applied and a new version is created before the checkout is performed. an adapter is utilized to perform the checkout mechanics and an object lifecycle event is generated with the baseline ( origin ) and checkout as attributes. the adapter is responsible for effecting a copy of the content to the checkout location and taking a lock on the origin content. whether this form and action are active on a given piece of content depends on the iterate policy adapter found for this content.
checkouts have some system additional properties, versioning and workflow. they can be versioned independently of the baseline, with only changes from the latest version being merged into the baseline on checkin. they can undergoe separate workflows different from the baseline content. (this last feature requires some customization see docs/workflow.rst ).
checkout status form
visually checkouts are distinguished by an extra document icon (next to sendto, and rss links). clicking on this icon will lead to a checkout status page. which allows for looking at information regarding the checkout itself, such as when the checkout was performed and by whom.
a user is asked for a checkin message. on checkin the working copy is merged into the baseline, and a new version of the baseline is created, and the baseline is unlocked.
a confirmation dialog is displayed, if the checkout is canceled the working copy is destroyed, and the baseline is unlocked.
Kapil Thangavelu <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Benjamin Saller <email@example.com>
icons from tortoisesvn project ( http://tigris.org )
GPL, see license.txt for details
- Fix tests to work with auto csrf. [vangheem]
- Fix tests for latest plone.protect. [vangheem]
- Information messages can be hidden from user who checked out content when using a placeful workflow, see: https://dev.plone.org/ticket/13852 [anthonygerrard]
- Replaced the “Locked” label with “Warning” [rristow]
- Nothing changed yet.
- Fixed error on checking in the working copy of an object linked in it’s parent rich text field, see: https://dev.plone.org/ticket/13462 [radekj]
- Nothing changed yet.
- Unmark both the baseline and the working copy on checkin so that dexterity content is properly unmarked. [cewing]
- Allow browser view templates to be defined and thus overridden in ZCML. [rpatterson]
- Import events from zope.lifecycleevent. [hannosch]
- Fix permissions check in parent folder working copy locator. [mitchellrj]
- Don’t declare IIterateAware as an extension of Archetypes’ IReferenceable, because there are other implementations (such as the one for Dexterity) that don’t use Archetypes references. [davisagli]
- Make sure permissions of working copy workflow get applied when checking out content, fixes http://dev.plone.org/ticket/12780 [anthonygerrard]
- Preserve content contents UIDs when checking a folder back in. This prevents breaking linking by UID in the editor. [rossp]
- Fix a problem with items added to a checked out folder not being visible after checkin. Fixes #12257. [rossp]
- Preserve the folder order position from the item originally checked out when checking it back in. [rossp]
- Allow user of check’d out content to also see the checkout info so a contributor can see that he already has a page checked out easily. [vangheem]
- Remove rogue div tag from diff.pt. This fixes http://dev.plone.org/plone/ticket/11249 [danjacka]
2.1.2 - 2011-06-02
- Include Products.CMFCore for Plone 4.1 compatibility. [thomasdesvenain, WouterVH]
2.1.1 - 2011-05-13
- Fixed an issue where our subscriber always expected a coci_created attribute to be available at the policy. [erico_andrei]
- Add MANIFEST.in. [WouterVH]
- Viewing a working copy or an original of a checkout does not raise AttributeError anymore. Anyway, we log a warning because a Manager should do something about this. Fixes http://dev.plone.org/plone/ticket/8723 [glenfant]
2.1 - 2011-02-25
- No changes.
2.1a2 - 2011-02-14
- Fixed stale catalog entries appearing for references of merged content. [maurits]
- Fixed minor test failure for _doAddUser. [maurits]
2.1a1 - 2011-01-18
- Test Products.CMFPlone version to set default permission, keeping 4.0 compatibility - the next release can be 2.0.1 again. [elro]
- Add autoinclude entry point. [elro]
- Update permission defaults for Plone 4.1’s Site Administrator role. [elro]
2.0 - 2010-07-18
- Fixed the info viewlet to show only the date, and not the time. The issue was introduced because ulocalized_time changed its parameters order. This closes http://dev.plone.org/plone/ticket/10759. [vincentfretin]
- Update license to GPL version 2 only. [hannosch]
- Add id=”content” for the content divs. Else theming with deliverance gets harder. [do3cc]
2.0b2 - 2010-06-03
- Add naive upgrade step that reinstalls the product. [davisagli]
- Set action icons via icon_expr on the actions, to avoid deprecation warnings in Plone 4. [davisagli]
2.0b1 - 2010-02-17
- Declare all package dependencies. [hannosch]
- Updated diff.pt to follow recent markup conventions. References #9981 [spliter]
1.2.5 - 2010-01-03
- Fixed an undefined current_page_url variable in diff.pt. This closes http://dev.plone.org/plone/ticket/9819. [hannosch]
1.2.4 - 2008-12-21
- Added profiles/default/metadata.xml (version 120: lets leave plenty room in case any profile changes are needed on the 1.1 branch). [maurits]
- Avoid a test dependency on quick installer. [hannosch]
- Use our own PloneMessageFactory. We don’t depend on CMFPlone anymore. [hannosch]
- Specified package dependencies. [hannosch]
- Made the tests independent of default content. [hannosch]
1.2.3 - 2008-11-14
- Fix assumption in control view: not every context object is IReferenceable. This fixes http://dev.plone.org/plone/ticket/8737 [nouri]
1.2.2 - 2008-11-13
- Fix action conditions for the nth time; this time it’s an over-ambitious “Cancel check-out” permission. This fixes http://dev.plone.org/plone/ticket/8735 [nouri]
1.2.1 - 2008-11-11
Refine permissions fix from 1.2.0 and make tests pass again:
Don’t require Modify Portal Content (MPC) permission on the original to check out, which was omitted in the fix for 1.2.0.
Don’t require MPC on the original for canceling of checkout, only require it on the working copy. [nouri]
Fix missing internationalization (#8608 thanks to Vincent Fretin) [encolpe]
1.2.0 - 2008-10-24
- Allow users without modify content permissions (but with the iterate check out permission) to check out items, and only allow them to check in back again only when they have modify content permissions. [nouri]
1.1.5 - 2008-08-18
1.1.0 - 2008-04-20
- Fixed dodgy test in test_iterate.py that was dependent on semantics of default workflow. [optilude]
- Fixed i18n markup and updated some messages. This closes http://dev.plone.org/plone/ticket/7958. [hannosch]
- Updated i18n:domain in templates to the plone domain. There’s no need for a iterate domain. [hannosch]
- Use README.txt and HISTORY.txt for the package’s long description. [wichert]
- Remove unneeded initialize method from __init__ [wichert]
1.0 - 2007-08-17
- First release