Open, extensible Python injector/profiler/analyzer
Project home: https://pptop.io/
ppTOP is open, extensible Python injector/profiler/analyzer.
The main idea is to inject a custom code inside Python process (already running or going to be launched) and analyze its behavior with no any code modifications.
Say no to "prints" and garbage in debug logs - now you have ppTOP. A modern MRI scanner for Python.
pip3 install pptop
- Python: 3.5+ is required, as ppTOP uses asyncio
- Can be injected into any Python version (tested: 2.3+)
- Injection into running processes requires gdb (present in almost all Linux distributions)
- Only Linux systems are currently supported
ppTOP can be injected into any running Python process
or you can load Python program manually and profile its launch
To launch a program, press Ctrl+L or specify -w sec param in command line args to start it automatically after the specified delay.
Data from connected process is collected in real-time and displayed in table-based console UI, which can be easily extended with custom plugins.
All data tables can be scrolled, filtered, new data collection can be paused. In case of problems, any plugin can be re-injected at any time.
To start ppTOP, type
and then select Python process you want to inject to from the list.
Alternatively, you can start it with
pptop PID # or pptop PID-FILE
and specify the process from the command line.
If you want to analyze program startup, just type
The program will be loaded in waiting state, press Ctrl+L when you are ready.
To get a help for the current plugin, press F1 to display module documentation.
Plugins and keyboard shortcuts are configured by default in ~/.pptop/pptop.yml file (created automatically at first launch).
- asyncio asyncio loop monitor
- atasker atasker monitor (https://github.com/alttch/atasker)
- env view process OS environment variables
- log inject into all Python loggers and collect log messages
- malloc trace object memory allocations
- open_files view process open files
- script_runner launch a custom scripts inside process
- threads view process threads
- vars variable/function watcher
- yappi yappi profiler plugin
Most of plugins contain 2 parts of code: one collects data inside profiling process, other display it in ppTOP UI. For the profiling process all plug-ins are invisible, safe and unloadable (at least they try their best :)
With "`" button, remote Python console can be opened. It has no full functionality like a standard Python console, but supports all frequently used features, like importing modules, defining functions and variables, executing functions and loops etc.
Console has own remote globals, which are preserved until ppTOP quit and injected server is terminated.
If launched with "-g" option, ppTOP will grab stdout/stderr of injected process and print it to local console. You can view local console without entering console mode, by pressing Ctrl+O.
Configuration, troubleshooting, advanced usage, plugin development: https://pptop.io/doc/
- [ ] More plugins
- [ ] Advanced filtering
- [ ] Data snapshots
- [ ] Step-by-step debugger
- [ ] JSON API, web interface
- [ ] Charts
p.s. Code in master can be completely broken, install with pip only.
Release history Release notifications
Download the file for your platform. If you're not sure which to choose, learn more about installing packages.
|Filename, size||File type||Python version||Upload date||Hashes|
|Filename, size pptop-0.5.10.tar.gz (41.8 kB)||File type Source||Python version None||Upload date||Hashes View hashes|