Decorators for profiling/timing/tracing individual functions
It’s a collection of decorators for profiling functions. E.g. to profile a single function:
from profilehooks import profile @profile def my_function(args, etc): pass
The results will be printed when the program exits (or you can use @profile(immediate=True)).
If you’re interested in coarse timings and don’t want to pay for the overhead of profiling, use
from profilehooks import timecall @timecall # or @timecall(immediate=True) def my_function(args, etc): pass
Finally, you may be interested in seeing line coverage for a single function
from profilehooks import coverage @coverage def my_function(args, etc): pass
Also functions can be available in Python console or module if run it with -m arg
$ python -m profilehooks >>> profile <function profile at 0x1005c6488> $ python -m profilehooks yourmodule
Full documentation is available through pydoc profilehooks after installation.
The home page for this module is https://mg.pov.lt/profilehooks. It has screensho, uh, that is, more examples.
- New options: @timecall(log_name='logger', log_level=DEBUG). https://github.com/mgedmin/profilehooks/pull/20.
- Add Python 3.7 support.
- Drop Python 3.3 and 3.4 support.
- @timecall() now defaults to the highest-precision timer (timeit.default_timer()) instead of time.time(): https://github.com/mgedmin/profilehooks/pull/11
- Drop claim of Python 3.2 compatibility. Everything still works, except I’m no longer running automated tests on 3.2, so things might regress.
- Drop Python 2.6 compatibility.
- Add Python 3.6 compatibility.
- Include PID in temporary filenames: https://github.com/mgedmin/profilehooks/issues/6.
- Claim Python 3.5 compatibility.
- New option: @profile(stdout=False) to suppress output to sys.stdout.
- Make @profile(profiler='hotshot') work again. This was probably broken in 1.0 or 1.1, but nobody complained.
- Fix missing space in the output of @profile(skip=N).
- Make @coverage_with_hotshot output match @coverage output precisely.
- 100% test coverage.
- Claim Python 3.4 and PyPy compatibility.
- Explicitly claim Python 3.3 compatibility.
- Fix Python 3.x bug with @coverage (stop using sys.maxint): https://github.com/mgedmin/profilehooks/issues/2.
- Added Python 3.2 compatibility, dropped Python 2.3, 2.4 and 2.5 compatibility.
- Migrated the source repository to https://github.com/mgedmin/profilehooks
- Added a changelog.
- New argument to @timecall: timer (defaults to time.time). Example: @timecall(timer=time.clock)
- Better documentation.
- Added support for cProfile, make it the default profiler when available. Previously profilehooks supported profile and hotshot only.
- Store profile results (when you pass filename to @profile) in pstats format instead of pickles. Contributed by Florian Schulze.
- New argument to: @timecall: immediate (defaults to False).
- Added a test suite.
- First release to PyPI, with a setup.py and everything.
- New arguments to @profile: dirs, sort, entries. Contributed by Hanno Schlichting.
- Preserve function attributes such as __doc__ and __module__ when decorating them.
- Pydoc-friendly docstring wrapping and other docstring improvements.
- Changed licence from GPL to MIT.
- New decorator: @timecall
- New arguments to @profile: skip, filename, immediate.
- Added support for profile, after becoming convinced hotshot was unreliable. Made it the default profiler.
- First public release (it didn’t actually have a version number), announced on my blog: https://mg.pov.lt/blog/profiling.html
- @profile and @coverage decorators that didn’t accept any arguments.
- hotshot was the only profiler supported for @profile, while @coverage used trace.py
Release history Release notifications
Download the file for your platform. If you're not sure which to choose, learn more about installing packages.
|Filename, size||File type||Python version||Upload date||Hashes|
|Filename, size profilehooks-1.11.0-py2.py3-none-any.whl (11.7 kB)||File type Wheel||Python version py2.py3||Upload date||Hashes View hashes|
|Filename, size profilehooks-1.11.0.tar.gz (17.1 kB)||File type Source||Python version None||Upload date||Hashes View hashes|
Hashes for profilehooks-1.11.0-py2.py3-none-any.whl