A Python module for checking APA style in writing
A Python module for checking APA style in writing.
This module provides an abstraction class, mostly composed of regular expressions. This project does not aim to cover the entire APA style guide, but it does attempt to cover several common errors with style.
To make errors easier to visually locate, 5 characters of context are sometimes given, depending on the detected error.
pyapa.ApaCheck object class
This class documents regular expressions to match style errors.
The pyapa.ApaCheck.match() method generates an array of ApaMatch objects and stores them in the ApaCheck.Matches list for easy access.
pyapa.ApaMatch object class
This class contains the following members:
- ApaMatch.feedback a unicode string intended to hold a brief explanation of an associated error
- ApaMatch.end the position of the character in a text which marks the end of the target character span
- ApaMatch.start the position of the character in a text which marks the beginning of the target character span
- ApaMatch.target the matching string that contains an error
- ApaMatch.suggestions a list of suggested replacement strings; at this time, the list is only ever one element long
There are also two helper functions to make printing these objects easy:
- ApaMatch.print() prints the object to stdout
- ApaMatch.sprint() builds a string containing information about the object
From the interpreter:
>>> import pyapa >>> a = pyapa.ApaCheck() >>> text = u'Papaya are delicious fruit, it was concluded (Author, et al. 2017).' >>> a.match(text) [<pyapa.ApaMatch object at 0x000000000000>] >>> len(a.Matches) 1 >>> a.Matches.print() Match from 48 to 66 for: Target: uthor, et al. 2017 Feedback: Do not put a comma before 'et al.' Suggestion: uthor et al. 2017
Calling the module itself:
python3 -m pyapa -i input.txt python3 -m pyapa -h Usage: pyapa [-h] [--version] [-o OUTPUT_FILE] -i INPUT_FILE
Download the file for your platform. If you're not sure which to choose, learn more about installing packages.
|Filename, size||File type||Python version||Upload date||Hashes|
|Filename, size pyapa-0.1.1.tar.gz (6.8 kB)||File type Source||Python version None||Upload date||Hashes View|