A python library to read and write structured data in csv, zipped csv format and to/from databases
Fonts, colors and charts are not supported.
pyexcel-io provides one application programming interface(API) to read and write the data in excel format, import the data into and export the data from database. It provides support for csv(z) format, django database and sqlalchemy supported databases. Its supported file formats are extended to cover “xls”, “xlsx”, “ods” by the following extensions:<caption>A list of file formats supported by external plugins</caption>
|Package name||Supported file formats||Dependencies||Python versions|
|pyexcel-io||csv, csvz , tsv, tsvz ||2.6, 2.7, 3.3, 3.4, 3.5, 3.6 pypy|
|pyexcel-xls||xls, xlsx(read only), xlsm(read only)||xlrd, xlwt||same as above|
|pyexcel-xlsx||xlsx||openpyxl||same as above|
|pyexcel-xlsxw||xlsx(write only)||XlsxWriter||same as above|
|pyexcel-ods3||ods||ezodf, lxml||2.6, 2.7, 3.3, 3.4 3.5, 3.6|
|pyexcel-ods||ods||odfpy||same as above|
|pyexcel-odsr||ods(read only)||lxml||same as above|
|||zipped csv file|
|||zipped tsv file|
If you need to manipulate the data, you might do it yourself or use its brother library pyexcel .
If you would like to extend it, you may use it to write your own extension to handle a specific file format.
You can install it via pip:
$ pip install pyexcel-io
or clone it and install it:
$ git clone https://github.com/pyexcel/pyexcel-io.git $ cd pyexcel-io $ python setup.py install
Development steps for code changes
- git clone https://github.com/pyexcel/pyexcel-io.git
- cd pyexcel-io
Upgrade your setup tools and pip. They are needed for development and testing only:
- pip install –upgrade setuptools pip
Then install relevant development requirements:
- pip install -r rnd_requirements.txt # if such a file exists
- pip install -r requirements.txt
- pip install -r tests/requirements.txt
In order to update test environment, and documentation, additional steps are required:
- pip install moban
- git clone https://github.com/pyexcel/pyexcel-commons.git commons
- make your changes in
.moban.ddirectory, then issue command
What is rnd_requirements.txt
Usually, it is created when a dependent library is not released. Once the dependecy is installed(will be released), the future version of the dependency in the requirements.txt will be valid.
What is pyexcel-commons
Many information that are shared across pyexcel projects, such as: this developer guide, license info, etc. are stored in
What is .moban.d
.moban.d stores the specific meta data for the library.
How to test your contribution
doctest are both used in code testing, it is adviable that unit tests are put in tests.
doctest is incorporated only to make sure the code examples in documentation remain valid across different development releases.
On Linux/Unix systems, please launch your tests like this:
On Windows systems, please issue this command:
New BSD License
Support the project
If your company has embedded pyexcel and its components into a revenue generating product, please support me on patreon to maintain the project and develop it further.
deferred - unreleased
- #19, use cString by default
0.3.4 - 18.05.2017
- #33, handle mmap object differently given as file content. This issue has put in a priority to single sheet csv over multiple sheets in a single memory stream. The latter format is pyexcel own creation but is rarely used. In latter case, multiple_sheet=True should be passed along get_data.
- #34, treat mmap object as a file content.
- #35, encoding parameter take no effect when given along with file content
- use ZIP_DEFALTED to really do the compression
0.3.3 - 30.03.2017
- #31, support pyinstaller
0.3.2 - 26.01.2017
- #29, change skip_empty_rows to False by default
0.3.1 - 21.01.2017
- updated versions of extra packages
- #23, provide helpful message when old pyexcel plugin exists
- restored previously available diagnosis message for missing libraries
0.3.0 - 22.12.2016
- lazy loading of plugins. for example, pyexcel-xls is not entirely loaded until xls format is used at its first attempted reading or writing. Since it is loaded, it will not be loaded in the second io action.
- pyexcel-xls issue 11, make case-insensitive for file type
0.2.6 - 21.12.2016
- #24, pass on batch_size
0.2.5 - 20.12.2016
- #26, performance issue with getting the number of columns.
0.2.4 - 24.11.2016
- #23, Failed to convert long integer string in python 2 to its actual value
0.2.3 - 16.09.2016
0.2.2 - 31.08.2016
- support pagination. two pairs: start_row, row_limit and start_column, column_limit help you deal with large files.
skip_empty_rows=Truewas introduced. To include empty rows, put it to False.
- #20, pyexcel-io attempts to parse cell contents of ‘infinity’ as a float/int, crashes
0.2.1 - 11.07.2016
- csv format: handle utf-16 encoded csv files. Potentially being able to decode other formats if correct “encoding” is provided
- csv format: write utf-16 encoded files. Potentially other encoding is also supported
- support stdin as input stream and stdout as output stream
- Attention, user of pyexcel-io! No longer io stream validation is performed in python 3. The guideline is: io.StringIO for csv, tsv only, otherwise BytesIO for xlsx, xls, ods. You can use RWManager.get_io to produce a correct stream type for you.
- #15, support foreign django/sql foreign key
0.2.0 - 01.06.2016
- autoload of pyexcel-io plugins
- auto detect
int. Detection can be switched off by
0.1.0 - 17.01.2016
# yield key word to return generator as content
Release history Release notifications
Download the file for your platform. If you're not sure which to choose, learn more about installing packages.
|Filename, size & hash SHA256 hash help||File type||Python version||Upload date|
|pyexcel_io-0.3.4.1-py2.py3-none-any.whl (31.0 kB) Copy SHA256 hash SHA256||Wheel||any||May 19, 2017|
|pyexcel-io-0.3.4.1.tar.gz (24.3 kB) Copy SHA256 hash SHA256||Source||None||May 31, 2017|