Tools for cleaning pandas DataFrames
pyjanitor is a Python implementation of the R package janitor, and provides a clean API for cleaning data.
Originally a port of the R package, pyjanitor has evolved from a set of convenient data cleaning routines into an experiment with the method chaining paradigm.
Data preprocessing usually consists of a series of steps that involve transforming raw data into an understandable/usable format. These series of steps need to be run in a certain sequence to achieve success. We take a base data file as the starting point, and perform actions on it, such as removing null/empty rows, replacing them with other values, adding/renaming/removing columns of data, filtering rows and others. More formally, these steps along with their relationships and dependencies are commonly referred to as a Directed Acyclic Graph (DAG).
The pandas API has been invaluable for the Python data science ecosystem, and implements method chaining of a subset of methods as part of the API. For example, resetting indexes (.reset_index()), dropping null values (.dropna()), and more, are accomplished via the appropriate pd.DataFrame method calls.
Inspired by the ease-of-use and expressiveness of the dplyr package of the R statistical language ecosystem, we have evolved pyjanitor into a language for expressing the data processing DAG for pandas users.
Current functionality includes:
- Cleaning columns name (multi-indexes are possible!)
- Removing empty rows and columns
- Identifying duplicate entries
- Encoding columns as categorical
- Splitting your data into features and targets (for machine learning)
- Adding, removing, and renaming columns
- Coalesce multiple columns into a single column
- Date conversions (from matlab, excel, unix) to Python datetime format
- Expand a single column that has delimited, categorical values into dummy-encoded variables
- Concatenating and deconcatenating columns, based on a delimiter
- Syntactic sugar for filtering the dataframe based on queries on a column
- Experimental submodules for finance, biology, chemistry, engineering, and pyspark
Release history Release notifications
Download the file for your platform. If you're not sure which to choose, learn more about installing packages.
|Filename, size||File type||Python version||Upload date||Hashes|
|Filename, size pyjanitor-0.19.0-py3-none-any.whl (49.4 kB)||File type Wheel||Python version py3||Upload date||Hashes View hashes|
|Filename, size pyjanitor-0.19.0.tar.gz (52.3 kB)||File type Source||Python version None||Upload date||Hashes View hashes|
Hashes for pyjanitor-0.19.0-py3-none-any.whl