minimal pypi server
|Authors:||Ralf Schmitt <email@example.com>|
Table of Contents
pypiserver is a minimal PyPI compatible server. It can be used to serve a set of packages and eggs to easy_install or pip.
pypiserver will work with python 2.5, 2.6 and 2.7. It will not work with python versions >= 3 or < 2.5.
Run the following commands to get your PyPI server up and running:
pip install pypiserver mkdir ~/packages # copy some source packages or eggs to this directory pypi-server -p 8080 ~/packages pip install -i http://localhost:8080/simple/ ...
pypi-server -h will print a detailed usage message:
pypi-server [OPTIONS] [PACKAGES_DIRECTORY] start PyPI compatible package server serving packages from PACKAGES_DIRECTORY. If PACKAGES_DIRECTORY is not given on the command line, it uses the default ~/packages. pypi-server understands the following options: -p PORT, --port PORT listen on port PORT (default: 8080) -i INTERFACE, --interface INTERFACE listen on interface INTERFACE (default: 0.0.0.0, any interface) -r PACKAGES_DIRECTORY, --root PACKAGES_DIRECTORY [deprecated] serve packages from PACKAGES_DIRECTORY --server METHOD use METHOD to run the server. Valid values include paste, cherrypy, twisted, gunicorn, gevent, wsgiref, auto. The default is to use "auto" which chooses one of paste, cherrypy, twisted or wsgiref. pypi-server -h pypi-server --help show this help message pypi-server --version show pypi-server's version Visit http://pypi.python.org/pypi/pypiserver for more information.
- pypiserver ships with it’s own copy of bottle. It’s possible to use bottle with different wsgi servers. pypiserver chooses any of the following paste, cherrypy, twisted, wsgiref (part of python) if available.
pypiserver does not implement the full API as seen on PyPI. It implements just enough to make easy_install and pip install work.
The following limitations are known:
- pypiserver doesn’t support uploading files. One might also consider that a feature. scp provides a nice workaround.
- pypiserver doesn’t implement the XMLRPC interface: pip search will not work.
- pypiserver doesn’t implement the json based ‘/pypi’ interface. pyg uses that and will not work.
pypiserver contains a copy of bottle which is available under the MIT license:
Copyright (c) 2010, Marcel Hellkamp. Permission is hereby granted, free of charge, to any person obtaining a copy of this software and associated documentation files (the "Software"), to deal in the Software without restriction, including without limitation the rights to use, copy, modify, merge, publish, distribute, sublicense, and/or sell copies of the Software, and to permit persons to whom the Software is furnished to do so, subject to the following conditions: The above copyright notice and this permission notice shall be included in all copies or substantial portions of the Software. THE SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED "AS IS", WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND NONINFRINGEMENT. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE AUTHORS OR COPYRIGHT HOLDERS BE LIABLE FOR ANY CLAIM, DAMAGES OR OTHER LIABILITY, WHETHER IN AN ACTION OF CONTRACT, TORT OR OTHERWISE, ARISING FROM, OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE SOFTWARE OR THE USE OR OTHER DEALINGS IN THE SOFTWARE.
The remaining part is distributed under the zlib/libpng license:
Copyright (c) 2011 Ralf Schmitt This software is provided 'as-is', without any express or implied warranty. In no event will the authors be held liable for any damages arising from the use of this software. Permission is granted to anyone to use this software for any purpose, including commercial applications, and to alter it and redistribute it freely, subject to the following restrictions: 1. The origin of this software must not be misrepresented; you must not claim that you wrote the original software. If you use this software in a product, an acknowledgment in the product documentation would be appreciated but is not required. 2. Altered source versions must be plainly marked as such, and must not be misrepresented as being the original software. 3. This notice may not be removed or altered from any source distribution.
There are lots of other projects, which allow you to run your own PyPI server. If pypiserver doesn’t work for you, try one of the following alternatives:
- chishop (http://pypi.python.org/pypi/chishop)
- a django based server, which also allows uploads
- simplepypi (http://pypi.python.org/pypi/simplepypi)
- a twisted based solution, which allows uploads
- ClueReleaseManager (http://pypi.python.org/pypi/ClueReleaseManager)
- Werkzeug based solution, allows uploads
- haufe.eggserver (http://pypi.python.org/pypi/haufe.eggserver)
- GROK/Zope based, allows uploads
- scrambled (http://pypi.python.org/pypi/scrambled)
- doesn’t require external dependencies, no uploads.
- EggBasket (http://pypi.python.org/pypi/EggBasket)
- TurboGears based, allows uploads