A Django plugin for py.test.
Supported Django versions: 1.3, 1.4 and 1.5
Supported Python versions 2.5 - 2.7 and 3.2 - 3.3. PyPy can also be used.
A recent version of pytest is required (>= 2.3.4).
- pip install pytest-django
- Make sure DJANGO_SETTINGS_MODULE is defined and and run tests with the pytest command.
- (Optionally) If you put your tests under a tests directory (the standard Django application layout), and your files are not named test_FOO.py, see the FAQ
Why would I use this instead of Django’s manage.py test command?
Running the test suite with pytest offers some features that are not present in Djangos standard test mechanism:
- Smarter test discovery (no need for from .foo import * in your test modules).
- Less boilerplate: no need to import unittest, create a subclass with methods. Just write tests as regular functions.
- Injection of test depencies with funcargs
- No need to run all tests, it is easy to specify which tests to run.
- Database re-use: no need to re-create the test database for every test run.
- No hacks required to only run your apps, and not the 3rd party/contrib apps that is listed in your INSTALLED_APPS.
- There are a lot of other nice plugins available for pytest.
- No pain of switching: Existing unittest-style tests will still work without any modifications.
See the pytest documentation for more information on pytest.
Bugs? Feature suggestions?
Report issues and feature requests at the github issue tracker.