Algorithms for manipulating and simulating patterns in cellular automata
What is lifelib?
lifelib is a collection of algorithms for simulating and manipulating patterns in cellular automata. It can be included in your project in either of two ways:
- Python package: lifelib can be imported as a Python package, and is compatible with both Python 2.7 and Python 3.5 (and beyond). We recommend this for everyday use, as the Python bindings are more user-friendly.
- C++ header files: if you have a project written in C++11 or above, specific components of lifelib may be included. This approach is used by the [apgsearch](https://gitlab.com/apgoucher/apgmera) soup searcher and the [slmake](https://gitlab.com/apgoucher/slmake) glider synthesis compiler. Note that lifelib is header-only owing to the use of templates.
For lifelib to work, you need a computer with an x86-64 processor. This includes most personal computers, but not smartphones, tablets, or the Raspberry Pi.
It runs easily in a POSIX environment, such as:
- Linux / Unix;
- Mac OS X;
- Windows (using Cygwin);
- Windows 10 (using WSL);
and requires a C++ compiler (gcc or clang) and Python (ideally with numpy).
The Python version of lifelib can actually run in Windows’ native Python (e.g. Anaconda). A suitable Cygwin installation still needs to exist on the machine and be locatable by lifelib; the Python package contains a function (lifelib.install_cygwin()) to automatically and painlessly handle this.
- [Quick start]
- [Installation notes]
- [The structure of lifelib]
- [Example usage for Python]
- [Editing patterns]
- [Analysing and viewing patterns]
: https://gitlab.com/apgoucher/lifelib/blob/master/doc/quickstart.md : https://gitlab.com/apgoucher/lifelib/blob/master/doc/install.md : https://gitlab.com/apgoucher/lifelib/blob/master/doc/structure.md : https://gitlab.com/apgoucher/lifelib/blob/master/doc/exampleusage.md : https://gitlab.com/apgoucher/lifelib/blob/master/doc/editing.md : https://gitlab.com/apgoucher/lifelib/blob/master/doc/analysis.md
- Currently lifelib is specific to 64-bit x86 architecture; ideally support for other architectures will be introduced.