VMware vSphere Python SDK
pyVmomi is the Python SDK for the VMware vSphere API that allows you to manage ESX, ESXi, and vCenter.
To get started, check out the samples project at http://vmware.github.io/pyvmomi-community-samples/
The master is code that is in development, official releases are tagged and posted to pypi
- The official release is availabe using pip, just run
pip install pyvmomi.
- To install the version in github use
python setup.py developfor development install or
python setup.py install.
For general language neutral documentation of vSphere Management API see:
- pyVmomi 5.5.0-2014.1 and later support Python 2.6, 2.7, 3.3 and 3.4
- pyVmomi 5.5.0 and below support Python 2.6 and 2.7
pyVmomi versions are marked vSphere_version _separator_release . Pyvmomi maintains minimum backward compatibility with the previous _four_ releases of vSphere and it’s own previous four releases. Compatibility with much older versions may continue to work but will not be actively supported.
For example, version v5.5.0_2014.1 is most compatible with vSphere 5.5, 5.1, 5.0, and 4.1 and was the first release in 2014. Initial releases compatible with a version of vSphere will bare a naked version number of v5.5.0 indicating that version of pyVmomi was released simultaneously with the GA version of vSphere with the same version number.
- 5.5.0 release notes https://github.com/vmware/pyvmomi/compare/v5.1.0…v5.5.0
- 5.5.0_2014.1 release notes https://github.com/vmware/pyvmomi/compare/v5.5.0…v5.5.0_2014.1
- Next release in progress 5.5.0_2014.2