Video content types for Plone; use collective.flowplayer but also pluggable with external services
Table of contents
- Other products
- 0.8.0 (2012-09-04)
- 0.7.3 (2012-05-18)
- 0.7.2 (2012-05-17)
- 0.7.1 (2012-01-02)
- 0.7.0 (2011-09-28)
- 0.6.0 (2011-08-31)
- 0.5.2 (2011-05-30)
- 0.5.1 (2011-05-19)
- 0.5.0 (2011-05-12)
- 0.4.0 (2011-04-14)
- 0.3.1 (2010-03-18)
- 0.3.0 (2010-03-03)
- 0.2.2 (2009-11-11)
- 0.2.1beta (2009-10-19)
- 0.2.0beta (2009-10-14)
- 0.1.0alpha (2009-09-28)
This add to your Plone portal two new types:
- Video file for providing a video content directly from a video file compatible with flowplayer formats. In the video view you can copy/paste the video embedding code, for seeing this video in other sites.
- Video link for a remote video resource
Also you can insert the year of the video and the duration.
A “Look” section will also give you fields for:
- add an optional image field, for the video screenshot/splashscreen data
- video display size
Add to your site a new “Video file”, then provide a video format compatible with Flowplayer. When you save it RedTurtle Video try to take from the video source some metadata like the duration and video size (width and height). Later you can modify those values manually.
If you provided also the image field, this can be used (optionally) as video starting splash image. All other amazing features came directly from the power of collective.flowplayer.
If you already used collective.flowplayer in your site for manage internal video and now you want to migrate them to RedTurtle “Video file” contents, you can use the @@flowplayer-video-migration view. You need to have installed also Products.contentmigration.
Please, backup your data before trying this!
Using collective.flowplayer you have no compatiblity with iPhone/iPad/iWhatever devices as far as they don’t support Flash technology.
Using RedTurtle Video and providing:
- a splash screen image
- a compatible video format like mp4
…you will be able to use also those kind of devices.
Always wrapping collective.flowplayer features, you can provide a special kind of link that point to a compatible format resource. Again you can play with all additional fields, adjusting video size and metadata.
The link can be to a remote site that host flv of other compatible types, or a link to an “Video file” in the same Plone site.
One of the most interesting feature is the support to URL to 3rd party remote video services like:
- YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/) - using collective.rtvideo.youtube
- Vimeo (http://www.vimeo.com/) - using collective.rtvideo.vimeo
- Metacafe (http://www.metacafe.com/) - using collective.rtvideo.metacafe
Enhancing this list with additional providers is quite simple (see the documentation given with the product). You are welcome to contribute and release other collective.rtvideo.yourpreferredremoteservice add-on!
Also this will give you a new “Video gallery” portlet, similar to the ones you’ll get with collective.flowplayer (“Video player”).
This portlet will show links to a configurable set of videos, displaying in the portlet the splash image.
You can still use basic “Video player” portlet given by collective.flowplayer.
Default video size (that you can change from the “Look” fieldset) is 400x300. You can change this default going to ZMI, in portal_properties and change values in redturtle_video_properties.
Tested on Plone 3.3 and 4.2, with collective.flowplayer 3.0.
[buildout] ... eggs = ... redturtle.video
To add also additional video providers support:
[buildout] ... eggs = ... collective.rtvideo.youtube ... mycompany.myservice
If you find bugs or have a good suggestion, open a ticket at https://github.com/RedTurtle/redturtle.video/issues/
Developed with the support of:
All of them supports the PloneGov initiative.
Before choosing this product think about what you want to get from “Plone and Video”. We strongly suggest you to use redturtle.video only when:
- The simple use of collective.flowplayer if not enough (you don’t like to upload a “File” that magically became a Video? You need remote video support? You need a real new Plone content type to make Collections?)
- The use of Plumi suite is “too much” (you don’t need a full video site, just a simple video support inside your CMS)
- You need to have Video as real CMS contents, not only use them embedded in document text (a task that you can reach easily using collective.embedly)
You can also be interested looking at the Plone Video Suite discussions.
Another very interesting approach is the one used in collective.mediaelementjs.
- add a body field to the video types [davismr]
- fixed missing Generic Setup dependency (close #8) [davismr]
- adds events that call getThumb on the RemoteVideo adapter, and try to get a thumb image for the video [micecchi, lucabel]
- fixed a GS circular dependency error [keul]
- video size in content was ignored when also present in video metadata (close #6) [keul]
- version 0.7.2 was a broken egg [keul]
- removed (commented) code that reindex an index when it’s created while installing the product. This can take a very long time on huge site [keul]
- added spanish translation [Manuel]
- fixed tests for Plone 4.2 compatibility [keul]
- Fixed migration step that was not running the proper dependecy (see #2) [keul]
- year field now limited to 4 chars [keul]
- from now include compiled .mo files in the egg [keul]
- fixed a bug when migrating from File to InternalVideo on Plone 4 (using plone.app.blob). IVideo now extends IFileContent [keul]
- blob file field have a different meta_type that make the migration walker fail. Now supported both ATFile and ATBlob [keul]
- the migrator view from File was not properly taking video metadata [keul]
- getEmbedCode and getPlayerCode methods can now be called from other views [keul]
- no more running plone.app.image generic profile setup when installing. This was giving some trouble when the products was already in use, because custom image size are removed [keul]
- related items in Plone 4 were doubled; fixed. to keep also Plone 3 compatibility, added dependency to collective.relateditems [keul]
- fixed a bug that break video if a user remove sizes information [keul]
- fixed bug in metadata extraction on Plone 3 if not blob support is present [keul]
- added a @@flowplayer-video-migration for migrate base Plone Flowplayer enabled contents to RedTurtle Video contents [keul]
- updated documentation related to iOS devices [keul]
- update imports to support latest zope.formlib release, which is pinned in 4.1 release [mamico]
- dependency on Products.CMFPlone instead of Plone, for Plone 4.1 compatibility (see documentation) [keul]
- fixed portlet target_url if the target is a folder (close #10) [micecchi]
- removed internal support for “Vimeo” and “Metacafe” services, moved away in proper external projects. This close ticket #7 [keul]
- added two ZMI properties to controls default video size when creating new contents. Also the default size has been changed to 400x300 [keul]
- added some missing .copy() call when working with default AT schema (close #9) [keul]
- fixed some CSS z-index issues that create problems with Sunburst theme and other add-ons (close #8) [nekorin]
- file field for RTInternalVideo content is defined as primary also with blobs, so can be used with FTP/WEB-DAV uploads [keul]
- RTInternalVideo now register himself for video content in the content_type_registry [keul]
- restored “i18n” folder for translate the plone domain (translation with locales sometimes sucks) [keul]
- fixed dependency for plone.app.imaging to version 1.0b9 or better [keul]
- removed support for video.google.com videos (close #6) [keul]
- removed support for youtube video, moved to collective.rtvideo.youtube this is part of ticket #7 [keul]
- typo error bug fixed: Vimeo embed view was using YouTube template [keul]
- now also remote video use size fields for the view [keul]
- XHTML fix for Metacafe template [keul]
- Fixed a bug that break saving an internalvideo, when metadata can’t be extracted [keul]
- when using splashscreen image, also display a “Play” icon on the image [nekorin]
- translations fixes [keul]
- add metacafe.com and video.google.com adapters [nan010]
- add some documentation how to write an adapter [nan010]
- video contents now implements the IImageContent interface [keul]
- now supported plone.app.blob [keul]
- added way (/@@blob-video-migration view) to migrate from ZODB to blob [keul]
- bug fixed: the title for internal video was not required [keul]
- shortened the embedding code, using the External configuration file, this also fix problems when embedding in documents using TinyMCE [keul]
- the internal video size is now the uploaded video size (close #1) [keul]
- simple video links to .flv URL were broken [keul]
- restored right position for a lot of viewlet manager (reverting some changes done in version 0.3.1) [keul]
- splashscreen image can be used (optionally) as real video splashscreen. Now plone.app.imaging is required (even without plone.app.blob) [keul]
- added video size fields; video view and embed code now use it [keul]
- properly registering types in TinyMCE (this close #5) [keul]
- external video now provides the IFlowPlayable interface only when linking simple .flv resources. This close #2 [keul]
- portlet header is not required anymore [keul]
- inserted embed string over the player [fdelia]
- embedded code link to flowplayer [alert, fdelia, keul]
- added youtube.com and vimeo.com adapters [gborelli]
- getting video embed html code with adapter (and removed BeautifulSoup) [gborelli]
- added redturtle_video macros [gborelli]
- added some tests [gborelli]
- added locales rebuild script [gborelli]
- fixed package install [gborelli]
- portlet does not return the getYear and getDuration method anymore [keul]
- moved hachoir import inside function from module level, due to stdout PDB error [keul]
- added a very ugly support for remote video to Youtube links [keul]
- removed validators for image field as it was not required but was not possible to ignore it [keul]
- fixed bug using redturtle.video with latests collective.flowplayer versions (3.0+) [fdelia]
- tested with latest flowplayer release [fdelia]
- added informations (duration and year) of the video, that will be displayed in the portlet
- fixed bug finders in using getFolderContents for ATTopic
- initial release