A tool for autobuilding html pages for websites or project documentation. Content can be stored as ReStructuredText or HTML and has a flexible templating system.
rest2web is a tool for autogenerating wesites, parts of websites or project documentation. Its main features include :
- Integrated with docutils (store your pages in ReST or HTML)
- Automatically builds index pages and navigation links (sidebars and breadcrumbs)
- Embedded code in templates for unlimited expressiveness
- Flexible macro system.
- Uses relative links, so sites can be viewed from the filesystem
- Unicode internally - so you don’t have to be
- Includes features for multiple translations of sites
- Built-in gallery creator plugin.
- The basic system is very easy to use
- Lots of powerful (optional) features
The content can be stored as HTML, or in ReST format; in which case the HTML will be generated using docutils. rest2web inserts each page into a template, and automatically creates index pages for sections, and navigation links.
There are lots of changes in the 0.5.0 update. See The Changelog for full details.
The most important changes include :
- Addition of ‘Quickstart Guide’
- rest2web can now build a site from just a directory of ReST documents; no need to supply restindexes or index pages if you don’t want to
- Global uservalues (effectively variables available in every page) can be set in the Config File or at the command line
- Lots of new command line options available, including setting verbosity levels (make rest2web quieter !)
- New Standard Functions, especially ‘include’ for better customisation of templates (e.g. for defining a different footer for some directories)
- More information available in the namespace and indextree (source filename, target filename, full url etc)