Rollbar server-side agent
A daemon to monitor log files and push messages to Rollbar.
- A unix-like system (tested on Fedora Linux and Mac OS X)
- Python 2.6+
- requests 0.13.1+ (will be installed by pip or setup.py, below)
- a Rollbar account
Installing with pip
If you’re familiar with pip, use this option. (If not, see the “Installing from source” method below.)
In a virtualenv, install like so:
pip install rollbar-agent
This will install the rollbar-agent files in the root directory of your virtualenv.
Installing from source
If you’re comfortable with Git:
git clone https://github.com/rollbar/rollbar-agent.git cd rollbar-agent
Or just grab the .tar.gz:
wget https://github.com/rollbar/rollbar-agent/archive/v0.3.4.tar.gz tar -xzf v0.3.4 cd rollbar-agent-0.3.4
Then install (may require sudo):
python setup.py install
rollbar-agent comes with an example init.d script, chkconfig compatible and tested on Fedora Linux, update-rc.d on Ubuntu Linux. To install it, symlink rollbar-agent-init.sh to /etc/init.d/rollbar-agent:
chmod +x /path/to/rollbar-agent-init.sh ln -s /path/to/rollbar-agent-init.sh /etc/init.d/rollbar-agent
On Ubuntu, you’ll need to add to rc.d. Run the following:
update-rc.d rollbar-agent defaults
On Fedora, add to chkconfig:
chkconfig --add rollbar-agent chkconfig on rollbar-agent
On other systems, check your system’s documentation for its equivalent of chkconfig.
Now, start the service:
service rollbar-agent start
To check that it’s running, tail its log file:
tail -f /var/log/rollbar-agent.log
Configuration options for rollbar-agent itself are in
rollbar-agent.conf. If you’re using the init script, it has a few of its own configuration variables inside which control how it runs.
rollbar-agent.conf At the bare minimum, you will want to change the following variables:
- params.access_token – your Rollbar access token, specifically an API token that allows “post_server_item”
- targets – white-space-separated list of files or directories (non-recursive) to process.
- statefile – path to a file where the state will be stored. File does not need to exist, but the directory does. This file should not be placed somewhere it is likely to be deleted, as that will trigger all files to be re-processed. /tmp is not a good location.
There are several parameters about formats, etc.; you do NOT need to do anything with these if you’re only using rollbar-agent as a relay in combination with one of our other libraries.
Setting the following variables will improve integration:
- params.root – path to your code root
- params.branch – the current branch
Other options are documented in the sample config file.
rollbar-agent-init.sh Configuration variables should be self-explanatory. If you’re not using a virtualenv, set VIRTUALENV="".
Contributions are welcome. The project is hosted on github at http://github.com/rollbar/rollbar-agent
If you have any questions, feedback, etc., drop us a line at firstname.lastname@example.org