Notify of rtorrent events, through RSS or IRC (using Irker)
rtorrent-notify aims to be a very simple tool to notify users of rtorrent-related events. It can actually be used for other kind of events, being mostly generic.
If you upgrade from rtorrent2rss, the event database will get erased because of format incompatibilities.
- argparse (or Python 2.7).
- An irkerd server running on localhost (optional, only if you want IRC notifications)
Add this to your .rtorrent.rc:
system.method.set_key = event.download.finished,rtnfy_finished,"execute=~/rtorrent-notify/rtorrent-notify,FINISH,$d.get_base_path=" system.method.set_key = event.download.inserted_new,rtnfy_inserted,"execute=~/rtorrent-notify/rtorrent-notify,INSERT,$d.get_name="
For older versions of rtorrent (pre 0.8.4):
on_finished = rtnfy_finished,"execute=~/rtorrent-notify/rtorrent-notify,FINISH,$d.get_base_path=" on_start = rtnfy_started,"execute=~/rtorrent-notify/rtorrent-notify,START,$d.get_name="
Unless you specify their location, the files (rtorrent-notify.db and rtorrent-notify.xml) will be written in the home directory. Start rtorrent-notify -h for more details.
Yes, it is that unreadable. FINISH and START are just strings, you can change them.
- There are other events you might be interested in. As there is no documentation, you can try to grep for event. in rtorrent’s source code.
- get_base_path doesn’t work with the “inserted” event, you can use get_name instead.
- You will find a list of properties to use in ui/download.cc
Complete help for the rtorrent-notify command is available by running rtorrent-notify -h.
Advanced usage with some options would be:
- The target RSS feed is changed from the default.
- This also sends a notification to the freenode nick mynick. -n is used instead of -i irc://chat.freenode.net/mynick,isnick as the , character is already used by rtorrent’s config.
- Notifications to channels could be sent by -i irc://chat.freenode.net/mychannel.