Console utility app to retrieve and cat files stored in AWS S3
S3tail is a simple tool to help access log files stored in an S3 bucket in the same way one might use the *nix tail command (with far fewer options, most notably the lack of follow).
- Free software: MIT license
- Documentation: https://s3tail.readthedocs.io.
$ pip install s3tail
S3tail downloads and displays the content of files stored in S3, optionally starting at a specific prefix. For example, the following will start dumping all the log file contents found for August the fourth in the order S3 provides from that prefix onward:
$ s3tail s3://my-logs/production/s3/production-s3-access-2016-08-04
When s3tail is stopped or interrupted, it’ll print a bookmark to be used to pick up at the exact spot following the last log printed in a previous run. Something like the following might be used to leverage this ability to continue tailing from a previous stopping point:
$ s3tail s3://my-logs/production/s3/production-s3-access-2016-08-04 ... ...a-bunch-of-file-output... ... INFO:s3tail:Bookmark: production/s3/production-s3-access-2016-08-04-00-20-31-61059F36E0DBF36E:706
This can then be used to pick up at line 707 later on, like this:
$ s3tail s3://my-logs/production/s3/production-s3-access-2016-08-04 \ --bookmark production/s3/production-s3-access-2016-08-04-00-20-31-61059F36E0DBF36E:706
It’s safe to rerun s3tail sessions when working with piped commands searching for data in the stream (e.g. grep). S3tail keeps files in a local file system cache (for 24 hours by default) and will always read and display from the cache before downloading from S3. This is done in a best-effort background thread to avoid impacting performance. The file cache is stored in the user’s HOME directory, in an .s3tailcache subdirectory, where the file names are the S3 keys hashed with SHA-256.
To configure access to an AWS S3 bucket, follow the instructions provided by the Boto Python interface to AWS: http://boto.cloudhackers.com/en/latest/boto_config_tut.html
Check out s3tail --help for full usage.
- allow for digit ranges to be looked up
- add ability to expresss bookmark “manually” by setting the actual key of the CURRENT file and do search looking for one previous? consider having all bookmarks like this! way better usability
- Fix bug in prefix matching when using named bookmarks.
- Added timestamps to logs.
- Added “named” bookmarks to pick up automatically from last position when possible.
- Added option to disable cache entirely.
- Better perf when reading from cache.
- Improved docs.
- Refactor into classes and provide some minimal docs.
- First release on PyPI.
Release history Release notifications | RSS feed
Download the file for your platform. If you're not sure which to choose, learn more about installing packages.
Hashes for s3tail-0.1.4-py2.py3-none-any.whl