Encrypted plaintext password store
Sala lets you store passwords and other bits of sensitive plain-text information to encrypted files on a directory hierarchy. The information is protected by GnuPG’s symmetrical encryption.
Passwords are stored in a directory hierarchy, each file containing one secret.
- sala init
- Initialize a password store
- sala get FILE...
- Read secret(s)
- sala set FILE...
- Create or modify secret(s)
- sala FILE...
- Read or modify, depending on whether the first file exists or not
For more information, see sala(1) and http://www.digip.org/sala/.
Install sala by invoking:
pip install sala
To install from source, invoke:
python setup.py install
- pwgen: With the default configuration, if pwgen is installed, it’s used to suggest good passwords to the user
The test suite is in the test/ directory. Use the run-tests.py script to run the test suite. For more info, invoke:
python run-tests.py --help
The documentation is in the doc/ directory. To build a manpage and a HTML documentation page, invoke
make -C doc
in the top directory. Docutils 0.8 or newer is required.
Released on 2012-06-13
- Respect SALADIR when creating subdirectories with ‘set’.
- Add a bash completion script: contrib/sala-completion.bash.
- Move the repository state to the .sala subdirectory. .salakey becomes .sala/key and sala.conf becomes .sala/config.
- Add support for hooks in .sala/hooks. Initially, the post-set hook is supported.
Released on 2011-12-31
- Add -r option for raw output format.
- Allow setting the store location with SALADIR environment variable and -C command line option.
- Add support for Python 3.2, drop support for Python 2.5.
- Drop the GnuPGInterface dependency. Sala now implements its own GnuPG wrapper.
- Add man page (in ReST format), move most of README there.
- Improve portability.
- Add a regression test suite (cram is required to run the tests).
Released on 2011-02-02
- Add support for Python 2.5.
- Read configuration from $XDG_CONFIG_HOME/sala.conf, too.
Released on 2011-01-19
- Distribute README.rst, LICENSE and CHANGES with the source tarball.
Released on 2011-01-18
- Initial release.