SALVE Configuration Deployment Language
[![Build Status](https://travis-ci.org/sirosen/SALVE.svg?branch=stable)](https://travis-ci.org/sirosen/SALVE) [![Coverage Status](https://coveralls.io/repos/sirosen/SALVE/badge.png?branch=stable)](https://coveralls.io/r/sirosen/SALVE)
Authors: Stephen Rosen
More information is available at [SALVE Official Site](http://salve.sirosen.net/ “SALVE”)
What can it do?
SALVE versions files and directories in a git repository, and handles the messy process of deploying those files onto a machine. It is safer to use than shell scripts in a few ways, and guarantees idempotence for a wide class of deployment actions. It also backs up the preexisting versions of files that it changes when possible so that you can recover them if necessary at a later date.
To start writing manifests, you can go to the [Quick-Start Guide](http://salve.sirosen.net/quickstart.html “SALVE Quick-Start”). For a more detailed description of the SALVE language, [the SALVE Language Page](http://salve.sirosen.net/lang.html “SALVE Language”) and [the Examples Page](http://salve.sirosen.net/examples.html “SALVE Examples”) are good resources.
What do I need to run it?
SALVE is fully compatible with Python 2.7, 3.2, 3.3, and 3.4
It has no dependencies on python packages, so as long as you have one of these versions of Python installed, you can run SALVE.
These are the features and fixes currently in the pipeline for SALVE. Generally Fixes are prioritized over Features, depending on their severity.
- Plugin framework
- Variable and attribute definition in manifest blocks to propogate down the block tree as defaults
- Automatic file backup recovery using dates, generation numbers, and so forth
- ~ and * expansion does not offer useful error messages.
- Verification is performed on a rolling basis, rather than once at the start of execution
- Dir alterations (chown/chmod) are based on walks at generation time, not execution time
- Support for Python 2.6 (with argparse installed)
- Primary Attribute style blocks
- Filesys abstraction layer
- Removed SALVE_ROOT automatic variable (still allowed as an environment
- variable) and relocated default_settings.ini to salve/default_settings.ini
- Default directory (without override) is directory of root manifest
- Travis and Coveralls integration
- Improved internal logging and context handling
- Support for Python 3
- Numerous log levels and output controls
- Default attributes, which behave like the old 1.x version common attributes
- Increased the context information produced when errors are raised
- Regained code coverage in tests
- Made the codebase PEP8 compliant (as per pep8 v1.2)
- Backups are now stored in a flat dir by hash, resolving some dir/file conflict issues
- Change to backup logfile timestamp format, more human readable
- Old python salve.py usage is now python salve.py deploy, and added stub python salve.py backup
- Switched to argparse – now incompatible with python 2.6.x without libraries
- common block attributes are now global, and have precedence over block-defined attributes
- Action verification checks and warnings on failures and skips
- Large expansions to the testsuite
- No SALVE actions are performed through the shell anymore
- Permissions are now checked before actions are executed so that insufficient permissions will not crash the entire run
- Error messages now take the common [filename], line [lineno]: [message] format
- Fixes major bug with dir copy not triggering file backups
- Internal refactoring and cleanup in Blocks and Actions
- Fewer actions rely on shell commands and use shutil instead
- Underspecifying an action no longer causes a failure for chown and chmod, but skips these actions instead
- File create now does a touch -a instead of a touch, so that access time is changed instead of modified time
- Removed aggressive backups behavior that backed up directories and files on creation
- Improved error reporting at levels of execution above the parser
- Addition of backups for overwritten files
- Addition of SALVE_USER_PRIMARY_GROUP variable
- Completed test coverage
- beta 0.1.0
- Addition of directory blocks
- alpha 0.0.2
- Expansion of relative paths
- Fixes for configuration templating in blocks
- Checks EUID before attempting chown
- alpha 0.0.1
- Basic functionality for file blocks and manifest blocks
Download the file for your platform. If you're not sure which to choose, learn more about installing packages.
|Filename, size & hash SHA256 hash help||File type||Python version||Upload date|
|salve-2.3.0-py2.7.egg (100.7 kB) Copy SHA256 hash SHA256||Egg||2.7||Aug 25, 2014|
|salve-2.3.0.tar.gz (63.5 kB) Copy SHA256 hash SHA256||Source||None||Aug 25, 2014|