Sentry Plugin to better control regression handling
sentry-regressions is a Sentry plugin that allows to better control regression handling with non-linear backport releases.
In particular, this plugin considers the release versions when determining whether an event is a regression or not, whereas stock Sentry does not. This is of particular relevance if you’re dealing with backport releases, where a bugfix gets backported to a lower release that is more recent than the one the issue was tagged as to be resolved in.
Consider this example:
- You release 8.0
- You find a trivial bug, and fix it in master
- You release 8.1, containing that fix
- You resolve the Sentry issue as “resolved in 8.1”
- Now you backport a different, crucial fix from master back to an 8.0.x LTS branch
- You release 8.0.1, which contains the crucial fix, but not the trivial one
So in chronological order you created the following releases:
If the trivial bug now occurs again in 8.0.1, stock Sentry will incorrectly flag it as a regression, and reopen the issue. It’s not a regression however, because the trivial bug was never supposed to be fixed in 8.0.1, only in 8.1. But because stock Sentry stricly goes by chronological release dates, it considers the release 8.0.1 “higher” than 8.1.
This regression plugin will instead take actual release versions into account when detecting regressions, by parsing version strings and comparing them correctly (including natural sort order for numbers).
While this is certainly suited for versions used in Python packages, the version specification outlined in PEP 440 is pretty universal in its core, and should be applicable to many other programming languages’ versioning conventions, unless you’re using a very exotic versioning scheme.
Simply install the plugin via pip:
pip install sentry-regressions
The plugin then needs to be enabled on a per-project basis:
- Go to a Sentry project
- Integrations -> All Integrations
- Enable the RegressionPlugin for the project
- Sentry 9.1
- Sentry 8.22
- Create a virtualenv and activate it
- Create a Python Install of Sentry
- git clone https://github.com/4teamwork/sentry-regressions.git
- cd sentry-regressions
- pip install -e .
This package is copyright by 4teamwork.
sentry-regressions is licensed under GNU General Public License, version 2.
- Initial implementation. [lgraf]
Download the file for your platform. If you're not sure which to choose, learn more about installing packages.
|Filename, size||File type||Python version||Upload date||Hashes|
|Filename, size sentry-regressions-1.0.0.tar.gz (12.0 kB)||File type Source||Python version None||Upload date||Hashes View|