Parser/evaluator for the Sieve filtering language (RFC 5228)
Python implementation of the Sieve email filtering language (RFC 5228).
- Supports all of the base Sieve spec from RFC 5228, except for features still listed under TODO below
- Extensions supported:
- regex (draft-ietf-sieve-regex-01)
import email import sifter.parser rules = sifter.parser.parse_file(open('my_rules.sieve')) msg = email.message_from_file(open('an_email_to_me.eml')) msg_actions = rules.evaluate(msg)
In the above example, msg_actions is a list of actions to apply to the email message. Each action is a tuple consisting of the action name and action-specific arguments. It is up to the caller to manipulate the message and message store based on the actions returned.
- No thought has been given yet to hardening against malicious user input. The current implementation is aimed at users that are running their own sieve scripts.
- The current implementation is not optimized for performance, though hopefully it’s not too slow for normal inputs.
In rough order of importance:
- An example adaptor that provides Unix LDA behavior using sieve for filtering
- Base spec features not yet implemented:
- encoded characters (section 18.104.22.168)
- multi-line strings (section 2.4.2)
- bracketed comments (section 2.3)
- message uniqueness (section 2.10.3)
- envelope test (section 5.4)
- handle message loops (section 10)
- limit abuse of redirect action (section 10)
- address test should limit allowed headers to those that contain addresses (section 5.1)
- Make sure character sets are actually handled according to the spec
- Make string parsing comply with the grammar in section 8.1 and the features described in section 2.4.2
- Check that python’s email.message implements header comparisons the same way as the sieve spec
- Make sure regular expressions are actually handled according to the extension spec
- Add support for various extensions:
- variables (RFC 5229)
- externally stored lists (draft-melnikov-sieve-external-lists)
- body (RFC 5173)
- relational (RFC 5231)
- subaddress (RFC 5233)
- copy (RFC 3894)
- environment (RFC 5183)
- date and index (RFC 5260)
- editheader (RFC 5293)
- ihave (RFC 5463)
- mailbox metadata (RFC 5490)
- notifications (RFC 5435), mailto notifications (RFC 5436), xmpp notifications (RFC 5437)
Download the file for your platform. If you're not sure which to choose, learn more about installing packages.
|Filename, size||File type||Python version||Upload date||Hashes|
|Filename, size sifter-0.1.tar.gz (16.6 kB)||File type Source||Python version None||Upload date||Hashes View|