An AWS Aurora Serverless Data API dialect for SQLAlchemy
pip install sqlalchemy-aurora-data-api
aws rds modify-db-cluster --db-cluster-identifier DB_CLUSTER_NAME --enable-http-endpoint --apply-immediately
Save the database credentials in AWS Secrets Manager using a format expected by the Data API (a JSON object with the keys username and password):
aws secretsmanager create-secret --secret-id rds-db-credentials/MY_DB aws secretsmanager put-secret-value --secret-id rds-db-credentials/MY_DB --secret-string "$(jq -n '.username=env.PGUSER | .password=env.PGPASSWORD')"
Configure your AWS command line credentials using standard AWS conventions. You can verify that everything works correctly by running a test query via the AWS CLI:
aws rds-data execute-statement --resource-arn RESOURCE_ARN --secret-arn SECRET_ARN --sql "select * from pg_catalog.pg_tables"
- Here, RESOURCE_ARN refers to the Aurora RDS database ARN, which can be found in the AWS RDS Console (click on your database, then “Configuration”) or in the CLI by running aws rds describe-db-clusters. SECRET_ARN refers to the AWS Secrets Manager secret created above.
- When running deployed code (on an EC2 instance, ECS/EKS container, or Lambda), you can use the managed IAM policy AmazonRDSDataFullAccess to grant your IAM role permissions to access the RDS Data API (while this policy is convenient for testing, we recommend that you create your own scoped down least-privilege policy for production applications).
The package registers two SQLAlchemy dialects, mysql+auroradataapi:// and postgresql+auroradataapi://. Two sqlalchemy.create_engine() connect_args keyword arguments are required to connect to the database:
- aurora_cluster_arn (also referred to as resourceArn in the
Data API documentation)
- If not given as a keyword argument, this can also be specified using the AURORA_CLUSTER_ARN environment variable
- secret_arn (the database credentials secret)
- If not given as a keyword argument, this can also be specified using the AURORA_SECRET_ARN environment variable
All connection string contents other than the protocol (dialect) and the database name (path component, my_db_name in the example below) are ignored.
from sqlalchemy import create_engine cluster_arn = "arn:aws:rds:us-east-1:123456789012:cluster:my-aurora-serverless-cluster" secret_arn = "arn:aws:secretsmanager:us-east-1:123456789012:secret:rds-db-credentials/MY_DB" engine = create_engine('postgresql+auroradataapi://:@/my_db_name', echo=True, connect_args=dict(aurora_cluster_arn=cluster_arn, secret_arn=secret_arn)) with engine.connect() as conn: for result in conn.execute("select * from pg_catalog.pg_tables"): print(result)
The RDS Data API is the link between the AWS Lambda serverless environment and the sophisticated features provided by PostgreSQL and MySQL. The Data API tunnels SQL over HTTP, which has advantages in the context of AWS Lambda:
- It eliminates the need to open database ports to the AWS Lambda public IP address pool
- It uses stateless HTTP connections instead of stateful internal TCP connection pools used by most database drivers (the stateful pools become invalid after going through AWS Lambda freeze-thaw cycles, causing connection errors and burdening the database server with abandoned invalid connections)
- It uses AWS role-based authentication, eliminating the need for the Lambda to handle database credentials directly
This package uses standard Python logging conventions. To enable debug output, set the package log level to DEBUG:
Licensed under the terms of the Apache License, Version 2.0.
Release history Release notifications | RSS feed
Download the file for your platform. If you're not sure which to choose, learn more about installing packages.
|Filename, size||File type||Python version||Upload date||Hashes|
|Filename, size sqlalchemy_aurora_data_api-0.2.7-py2.py3-none-any.whl (10.0 kB)||File type Wheel||Python version py2.py3||Upload date||Hashes View|
|Filename, size sqlalchemy-aurora-data-api-0.2.7.tar.gz (8.0 kB)||File type Source||Python version None||Upload date||Hashes View|
Hashes for sqlalchemy_aurora_data_api-0.2.7-py2.py3-none-any.whl
Hashes for sqlalchemy-aurora-data-api-0.2.7.tar.gz