A Jupyter kernel for Stata. Works with Windows, macOS, and Linux. Preserves program state.
stata_kernel is a Jupyter kernel for Stata; It works on Windows, macOS, and
To see an example Jupyter Notebook, click here.
For documentation and more information, see: https://kylebarron.github.io/stata_kernel
[1.10.5] - 2019-01-30
- Fix bug where the return code (
_rc) was reset by internal code after every user command. #288
[1.10.4] - 2019-01-29
- Actually fix bug that prevented long commands on Windows from working. #284
[1.10.3] - 2019-01-28
- Fix "Code editor out of sync" Jupyterlab message. #270
[1.10.2] - 2019-01-28
- Fix bug that prevented long commands on Windows from working. #284
- Make sure to always find correct Stata path on Mac when using Automation.
- Several documentation updates
[1.10.1] - 2019-01-08
- Fix bug that prevented from working on Windows. #281
[1.10.0] - 2019-01-04
%helpmagic in JupyterLab. #273
- Added example Jupyter Notebook file to documentation. #275
- Throws custom error if the Automation type library isn't registered on Windows. #276
- Adds program names to autocompletion. #280
- Don't sort file paths before variable names. #261
[1.9.0] - 2018-12-19
%latexmagics for displaying formatted output. #267
r()is no longer cleared between commands. #266
- Add tests
[1.8.1] - 2018-12-17
- Fix log cleaning for programs and for loops with > 10 lines. #257
- Fix autocomplete to show globals upon typing
- Add kernel tests. #254
- JupyterLab syntax highlighting now exists. Run
jupyter labextension install jupyterlab-stata-highlight
- Fix bug where incorrect files were suggested. #262
- Allow use of bracketed globals in file path autocompletion
[1.8.0] - 2018-11-28
- Don't launch Stata with WinExec on Windows. This should have the benefit that 1) a new Stata window isn't created unless it needs to be, and 2) graphs don't show up unnecessarily. #249
- Add magics to show and hide the Stata GUI. #251
- Fix displaying image in QtConsole. #246
- Fix completions bug. #247
[1.7.4] - 2018-11-21
- Fix finding Stata path on Windows when key not in registry. #242
[1.7.3] - 2018-11-20
- Fix log cleaning on Windows. #241
[1.7.2] - 2018-11-20
- Fix install. Add _mata_builtins to MANIFEST.in. #239
[1.7.1] - 2018-11-19
%taildisplay issues. #237
[1.7.0] - 2018-11-19
- Add Mata mode. #116
- Allow program to function without a configuration file. #222
- Fixed Ctrl+C behavior.
- Hide most Stata kernel output from user logs #228
- Add completions on word boundaries. #229
- Wrap SVGs in iframe tags to prevent cross-image issues. #235
- Don't overwrite configuration file if it already exists.
[1.6.2] - 2018-10-25
- Revert closing graph window automatically. #219
%browseto use the same code as
[1.6.1] - 2018-10-24
regexpackage as a dependency. #212
quicompletions with scalars and matrices. #213
- Close Stata graph window after saving graph. #214
- Fix regex to hide "note: graph.svg not found"
[1.6.0] - 2018-10-24
- File path autocompletions. Currently only works when files have no spaces in them. #195
- Only export graph after successful command. #210
--more--in frontend when it stops the display. #198
scatterin graph regex. Only
scatterproduce plots when not preceded by
- Give matrix and scalar autocompletions when using shortened command names. #206
[1.5.9] - 2018-10-16
- Fix bugs with Python 3.5. #203
[1.5.8] - 2018-10-11
- Fix incorrect regex escaping. #201
[1.5.7] - 2018-10-11
- Fix bug that parsed multiple
///on a single line incorrectly. #200
[1.5.6] - 2018-10-09
- Fix bug that prevented
set rmsg onfrom working. #199
[1.5.5] - 2018-10-05
user_graph_keywordssetting to allow graphs to be displayed for third-party commands.
[1.5.4] - 2018-09-21
- Force utf-8 encoding when writing
includecode to file. #196
EOFwhen waiting for the PDF copy of graph. #192
[1.5.3] - 2018-09-20
- Set pexpect terminal size to 255 columns. #190
[1.5.2] - 2018-09-19
- Add pywin32 as a pip dependency on Windows, thus making installation easier.
- Add jupyter 1.0.0 metapackage as a dependency, so that installs from Miniconda also install all of Jupyter.
[1.5.1] - 2018-09-17
- Fix issues with
- PDF Graph redundancy. This improves ease of export to PDF via LaTeX.
- Catch PermissionsError when copying syntax highlighting files
- Add Stata logo for Jupyter Notebook
- Autoclose local macro quotes in Jupyter Notebook
- Highlight /// as comments in Jupyter Notebook
- Highlight macros in Jupyter Notebook
- Check latest PyPi package version and add alert to banner if newer
- Set default linesize to 255 for now to improve image handling. #177
[1.5.0] - 2018-09-14
- Add CodeMirror syntax highlighting for Jupyter Notebook
- Improve Pygments syntax highlighting for highlighting of Jupyter QtConsole, Jupyter Console, and Notebook outputs in HTML and PDF format.
- Restore PDF graph support. Although it doesn't display within the Jupyter Notebook for security (or maybe just practical) reasons, it's helpful when exporting a Notebook to a PDF via LaTeX.
- Temporarily fix encoding error from CJK characters being split by a line break. #167
[1.4.8] - 2018-09-12
- Fix use of
whichin install script
stataon Linux. #149
- Fix hiding code lines when there are hard tab characters (
- Make HTML help links open in new tab. #158
- Open log files with utf-8 encoding. https://github.com/kylebarron/language-stata/issues/98
[1.4.7] - 2018-09-08
- Fix pypi upload. Need to use
python setup.py sdist bdist_wheeland not
python setup.py sdist bdist. The latter creates two source packages, and only one source package can ever be uploaded to Pypi per release.
[1.4.6] - 2018-09-08
install.py; previously it had unmatched
- Fix display of whitespace when entire result is whitespace. #111
[1.4.5] - 2018-09-07
- Don't embed images in HTML help; link to them. #140
- Fix blocking for line continuation when string is before
- Fix hiding of code lines with leading whitespace. #120
stata_kernel_graph_counterfrom globals suggestions. #109
- Always use UTF-8 encoding when loading SVGs. #130
- Add download count and Atom gif to README. Try to fix images for Pypi page.
[1.4.4] - 2018-09-06
- Fully hide Stata GUI on Windows. Always export log file, even on Windows and Mac Automation.
- Set more off within ado files. Should fix #132.
- Use bumpversion for easy version number updating.
- Add general debugging information (like OS/Stata version/package version) to log
- Add help links to Jupyter Notebook's Help dropdown UI
- Various docs fixes
[1.4.3] - 2018-09-04
- Release to pypi again because 1.4.2 didn't upload correctly. Apparently only a Mac version was uploaded, and even that didn't work.
[1.4.2] - 2018-08-21
- Fix line cleaning for loops/programs of more than 9 lines
- Remove pexpect timeout
- Provide error message upon incomplete input sent to
[1.4.1] - 2018-08-21
[1.4.0] - 2018-08-21
- Return results as Stata returns them, not when command finishes
- More stable method of knowing when a command finishes by looking for the text's MD5 hash
- Finds Stata executable during install
- Automatically show graphs after graph commands
- Add %help and %browse magics
- Allow for graph scaling factors
- Fix Windows locals issue
- Fix image spacing
[1.3.1] - 2018-08-13
- Fix pip installation by adding CHANGELOG and requirements files to
[1.3.0] - 2018-08-13
- Context-aware autocompletions
- Support for #delimit; blocks interactively
- Better parsing for when a user-provided block is complete or not. Typing
2 + ///will prompt for the next line.
- Split lexer into two lexers. This is helpful to first remove comments and convert #delimit; blocks to cr-delimited blocks.
- Fix svg aspect ratio
- Magics for plotting, retrieving locals and globals, timing commands, seeing current delimiter.
- Add documentation website
[1.2.0] - 2018-08-11
- Support for
inputblocks #28, #27, #30
- Support different graph formats #21
- Heavily refactor codebase into hopefully more stable API #32
- Correctly parse long, text wrapped lines from log file or console #41
- Use a single cache directory, configurable by the user #43
- Correctly remove comments, using a tokenizer #38, #25, #29
[1.1.0] - 2018-08-06
Initial release! This would ordinarily be something like version 0.1.0, but the Echo kernel framework that I made this from was marked as 1.1 internally, and I forgot to change that before people started downloading this. I don't want to move my number down to 0.1 and have people who already installed not be able to upgrade.
Release history Release notifications
Download the file for your platform. If you're not sure which to choose, learn more about installing packages.
|Filename, size||File type||Python version||Upload date||Hashes|
|Filename, size stata_kernel-1.10.5-py3-none-any.whl (86.8 kB)||File type Wheel||Python version py3||Upload date||Hashes View hashes|
|Filename, size stata_kernel-1.10.5.tar.gz (84.0 kB)||File type Source||Python version None||Upload date||Hashes View hashes|
Hashes for stata_kernel-1.10.5-py3-none-any.whl