A Jupyter kernel for Stata. Works with Windows, macOS, and Linux. Preserves program state.
stata_kernel is a Jupyter kernel for Stata; It works on Windows, macOS, and
To see an example Jupyter Notebook, click here.
For documentation and more information, see: https://kylebarron.github.io/stata_kernel
[1.10.5] - 2019-01-30
- Fix bug where the return code (
_rc) was reset by internal code after every user command. #288
[1.10.4] - 2019-01-29
- Actually fix bug that prevented long commands on Windows from working. #284
[1.10.3] - 2019-01-28
- Fix "Code editor out of sync" Jupyterlab message. #270
[1.10.2] - 2019-01-28
- Fix bug that prevented long commands on Windows from working. #284
- Make sure to always find correct Stata path on Mac when using Automation.
- Several documentation updates
[1.10.1] - 2019-01-08
- Fix bug that prevented from working on Windows. #281
[1.10.0] - 2019-01-04
%helpmagic in JupyterLab. #273
- Added example Jupyter Notebook file to documentation. #275
- Throws custom error if the Automation type library isn't registered on Windows. #276
- Adds program names to autocompletion. #280
- Don't sort file paths before variable names. #261
[1.9.0] - 2018-12-19
%latexmagics for displaying formatted output. #267
r()is no longer cleared between commands. #266
- Add tests
[1.8.1] - 2018-12-17
- Fix log cleaning for programs and for loops with > 10 lines. #257
- Fix autocomplete to show globals upon typing
- Add kernel tests. #254
- JupyterLab syntax highlighting now exists. Run
jupyter labextension install jupyterlab-stata-highlight
- Fix bug where incorrect files were suggested. #262
- Allow use of bracketed globals in file path autocompletion
[1.8.0] - 2018-11-28
- Don't launch Stata with WinExec on Windows. This should have the benefit that 1) a new Stata window isn't created unless it needs to be, and 2) graphs don't show up unnecessarily. #249
- Add magics to show and hide the Stata GUI. #251
- Fix displaying image in QtConsole. #246
- Fix completions bug. #247
[1.7.4] - 2018-11-21
- Fix finding Stata path on Windows when key not in registry. #242
[1.7.3] - 2018-11-20
- Fix log cleaning on Windows. #241
[1.7.2] - 2018-11-20
- Fix install. Add _mata_builtins to MANIFEST.in. #239
[1.7.1] - 2018-11-19
%taildisplay issues. #237
[1.7.0] - 2018-11-19
- Add Mata mode. #116
- Allow program to function without a configuration file. #222
- Fixed Ctrl+C behavior.
- Hide most Stata kernel output from user logs #228
- Add completions on word boundaries. #229
- Wrap SVGs in iframe tags to prevent cross-image issues. #235
- Don't overwrite configuration file if it already exists.
[1.6.2] - 2018-10-25
- Revert closing graph window automatically. #219
%browseto use the same code as
[1.6.1] - 2018-10-24
regexpackage as a dependency. #212
quicompletions with scalars and matrices. #213
- Close Stata graph window after saving graph. #214
- Fix regex to hide "note: graph.svg not found"
[1.6.0] - 2018-10-24
- File path autocompletions. Currently only works when files have no spaces in them. #195
- Only export graph after successful command. #210
--more--in frontend when it stops the display. #198
scatterin graph regex. Only
scatterproduce plots when not preceded by
- Give matrix and scalar autocompletions when using shortened command names. #206
[1.5.9] - 2018-10-16
- Fix bugs with Python 3.5. #203
[1.5.8] - 2018-10-11
- Fix incorrect regex escaping. #201
[1.5.7] - 2018-10-11
- Fix bug that parsed multiple
///on a single line incorrectly. #200
[1.5.6] - 2018-10-09
- Fix bug that prevented
set rmsg onfrom working. #199
[1.5.5] - 2018-10-05
user_graph_keywordssetting to allow graphs to be displayed for third-party commands.
[1.5.4] - 2018-09-21
- Force utf-8 encoding when writing
includecode to file. #196
EOFwhen waiting for the PDF copy of graph. #192
[1.5.3] - 2018-09-20
- Set pexpect terminal size to 255 columns. #190
[1.5.2] - 2018-09-19
- Add pywin32 as a pip dependency on Windows, thus making installation easier.
- Add jupyter 1.0.0 metapackage as a dependency, so that installs from Miniconda also install all of Jupyter.
[1.5.1] - 2018-09-17
- Fix issues with
- PDF Graph redundancy. This improves ease of export to PDF via LaTeX.
- Catch PermissionsError when copying syntax highlighting files
- Add Stata logo for Jupyter Notebook
- Autoclose local macro quotes in Jupyter Notebook
- Highlight /// as comments in Jupyter Notebook
- Highlight macros in Jupyter Notebook
- Check latest PyPi package version and add alert to banner if newer
- Set default linesize to 255 for now to improve image handling. #177
[1.5.0] - 2018-09-14
- Add CodeMirror syntax highlighting for Jupyter Notebook
- Improve Pygments syntax highlighting for highlighting of Jupyter QtConsole, Jupyter Console, and Notebook outputs in HTML and PDF format.
- Restore PDF graph support. Although it doesn't display within the Jupyter Notebook for security (or maybe just practical) reasons, it's helpful when exporting a Notebook to a PDF via LaTeX.
- Temporarily fix encoding error from CJK characters being split by a line break. #167
[1.4.8] - 2018-09-12
- Fix use of
whichin install script
stataon Linux. #149
- Fix hiding code lines when there are hard tab characters (
- Make HTML help links open in new tab. #158
- Open log files with utf-8 encoding. https://github.com/kylebarron/language-stata/issues/98
[1.4.7] - 2018-09-08
- Fix pypi upload. Need to use
python setup.py sdist bdist_wheeland not
python setup.py sdist bdist. The latter creates two source packages, and only one source package can ever be uploaded to Pypi per release.
[1.4.6] - 2018-09-08
install.py; previously it had unmatched
- Fix display of whitespace when entire result is whitespace. #111
[1.4.5] - 2018-09-07
- Don't embed images in HTML help; link to them. #140
- Fix blocking for line continuation when string is before
- Fix hiding of code lines with leading whitespace. #120
stata_kernel_graph_counterfrom globals suggestions. #109
- Always use UTF-8 encoding when loading SVGs. #130
- Add download count and Atom gif to README. Try to fix images for Pypi page.
[1.4.4] - 2018-09-06
- Fully hide Stata GUI on Windows. Always export log file, even on Windows and Mac Automation.
- Set more off within ado files. Should fix #132.
- Use bumpversion for easy version number updating.
- Add general debugging information (like OS/Stata version/package version) to log
- Add help links to Jupyter Notebook's Help dropdown UI
- Various docs fixes
[1.4.3] - 2018-09-04
- Release to pypi again because 1.4.2 didn't upload correctly. Apparently only a Mac version was uploaded, and even that didn't work.
[1.4.2] - 2018-08-21
- Fix line cleaning for loops/programs of more than 9 lines
- Remove pexpect timeout
- Provide error message upon incomplete input sent to
[1.4.1] - 2018-08-21
[1.4.0] - 2018-08-21
- Return results as Stata returns them, not when command finishes
- More stable method of knowing when a command finishes by looking for the text's MD5 hash
- Finds Stata executable during install
- Automatically show graphs after graph commands
- Add %help and %browse magics
- Allow for graph scaling factors
- Fix Windows locals issue
- Fix image spacing
[1.3.1] - 2018-08-13
- Fix pip installation by adding CHANGELOG and requirements files to
[1.3.0] - 2018-08-13
- Context-aware autocompletions
- Support for #delimit; blocks interactively
- Better parsing for when a user-provided block is complete or not. Typing
2 + ///will prompt for the next line.
- Split lexer into two lexers. This is helpful to first remove comments and convert #delimit; blocks to cr-delimited blocks.
- Fix svg aspect ratio
- Magics for plotting, retrieving locals and globals, timing commands, seeing current delimiter.
- Add documentation website
[1.2.0] - 2018-08-11
- Support for
inputblocks #28, #27, #30
- Support different graph formats #21
- Heavily refactor codebase into hopefully more stable API #32
- Correctly parse long, text wrapped lines from log file or console #41
- Use a single cache directory, configurable by the user #43
- Correctly remove comments, using a tokenizer #38, #25, #29
[1.1.0] - 2018-08-06
Initial release! This would ordinarily be something like version 0.1.0, but the Echo kernel framework that I made this from was marked as 1.1 internally, and I forgot to change that before people started downloading this. I don't want to move my number down to 0.1 and have people who already installed not be able to upgrade.
Release history Release notifications
|Filename, size||File type||Python version||Upload date||Hashes|
|Filename, size stata_kernel-1.10.5-py3-none-any.whl (86.8 kB)||File type Wheel||Python version py3||Upload date||Hashes View hashes|
|Filename, size stata_kernel-1.10.5.tar.gz (84.0 kB)||File type Source||Python version None||Upload date||Hashes View hashes|
Hashes for stata_kernel-1.10.5-py3-none-any.whl