Simulator of Various Voting Algorithms in Manipulating Populations
Simulator of Various Voting Algorithms in Manipulating Populations
- Free software: GNU General Public License version 3.
- Code: https://github.com/francois-durand/svvamp.
- Documentation: https://francois-durand.github.io/svvamp/.
- Define profiles of voters with preferences over a set of candidates. Preferences can be generated by several probabilistic models, entered manually or imported from an external file.
- Compute the result of several voting rules (ballots, winner, scores, etc).
- Decide Condorcet notions.
- Decide Independence of Irrelevant Alternatives.
- Decide Individual Manipulation.
- Decide Coalitional Manipulation and variants: Ignorant-Coalition Manipulation, Trivial Manipulation and Unison Manipulation.
0.9.1 (2022-03-24): Compatibility issues
- GeneratorProfileIanc is now compatible with Python < 3.8.
- However, starting from this release, the official compatibility of SVVAMP is with Python 3.8, 3.9 and 3.10 (no support for Python 3.6 and 3.7).
0.9.0 (2022-03-24): GeneratorProfileIanc
- Add GeneratorProfileIanc: profile generator for the Impartial, Anonymous and Neutral Culture.
0.8.3 (2021-08-01): Fix bug in ExperimentAnalyzer
- Fix bug in ExperimentAnalyzer: for StudyRuleCriteria.numerical_criteria, the aggregation was not done properly.
- Several cosmetic changes in ExperimentsCompiler.
0.8.2 (2021-07-29): Necessary coalition size to break IRV-Immunity
- Add Profile.necessary_coalition_size_to_break_irv_immunity: necessary coalition size to break IRV immunity (for each candidate different from the IRV-immune candidate, if one exists).
- Use this notion to improve the bound necessary_coalition_size_cm_ for RuleCondorcetAbsIRV, RuleCondorcetVtbIRV, RuleExhaustiveBallot, RuleICRV, RuleIRV, RuleIRVAverage, RuleSmithIRV, RuleTideman and RuleWoodall.
0.8.1 (2021-07-29): Use IRV-immune candidate for UM
- RuleCondorcetAbsIRV, RuleCondorcetVtbIRV, RuleExhaustiveBallot, RuleICRV, RuleIRV, RuleIRVAverage, RuleSmithIRV, RuleTideman and RuleWoodall: add a precheck for UM based on the notion of IRV-immune candidate.
0.8.0 (2021-07-29): IRV-immune candidate
- Introduce the notion of IRV-immune candidate. A candidate w is IRV-immune iff in any subset of candidates containing w, the plurality score of w is more than n_v / card(subset). This implies that in IRV (and most related rules), w is the winner and CM is impossible.
- Add Profile.exists_irv_immune_candidate: whether there exists an IRV-immune candidate.
- Add Profile.c_might_be_there_when_cw_is_eliminated_irv_style: whether a candidate c might be present in a round where the Condorcet winner is eliminated, IRV-style. In IRV (and most related rules), this condition is necessary to be able to cast CM in favor of c.
- Use the above mentioned notions to improve the CM algorithm of RuleCondorcetAbsIRV, RuleCondorcetVtbIRV, RuleExhaustiveBallot, RuleICRV, RuleIRV, RuleIRVAverage, RuleSmithIRV, RuleTideman and RuleWoodall.
- Add a UM precheck before CM in RuleSmithIRV, RuleTideman and RuleWoodall.
0.7.0 (2021-07-28): Better bounds for CM
- Introduce a heuristic method to improve the bounds necessary_coalition_size_cm_ and sufficient_coalition_size_cm_ in the case of rules based on rankings.
- Bug fix: in previous version (0.6.12), the IRV-CM precheck for UM was not activated for RuleCondorcetVtbIRV.
0.6.12 (2021-07-28): Fix bug in PluralityEliminationEngine
- Fix bug in PluralityEliminationEngine: the previous version used to modify the original profile, which was not desired.
- PluralityEliminationEngineProfileUM relies only on preferences_borda_rk and not on preferences_rk. This accelerates RuleSmithIRV.
- RuleCondorcetAbsIRV and RuleCondorcetVtbIRV: before computing UM, we test whether IRV is CM. If not, then we can conclude that Condorcet-IRV is not CM, and in particular not UM.
- Minor acceleration for RuleWoodall when the IRV winner is in the Smith set.
0.6.11 (2021-07-28): Accelerate ProfileUM
- ProfileUM: implement a dedicated implementation for plurality_scores_rk and plurality_scores_ut.
0.6.10 (2021-07-28): PluralityEliminationEngine
- Add PluralityEliminationEngine and its subclasses, PluralityEliminationEngineProfile and PluralityEliminationEngineProfileUM. This is used to speed up the computation of the winner for RuleExhaustiveBallot, RuleICRV, RuleIRVAverage, IRVDuels and RuleTideman.
0.6.8 (2021-07-27): Accelerate Exhaustive Ballot and some related rules
- RuleExhaustiveBallot, RuleCondorcetAbsIRV and RuleCondorcetVtbIRV: accelerate counting the ballots. This also speeds up RuleIRV, which relies directly on RuleExhaustiveBallot.
0.6.7 (2021-07-27): Accelerations
- The option sort_voters in Profile and related classes (such as GeneratorProfile and its subclasses) is now False by default.
- Rule: accelerate exact IM, UM and CM (generic exact algorithms for ranking-based rules).
- RuleBaldwin: accelerate counting the ballot and computing the winner (especially useful for exact UM).
- RuleSTAR: accelerate TM.
- RuleICRV, RuleIRVAverage, RuleSmithIRV, RuleTideman, RuleWoodall: accelerate CM.
- Improve the management of options in RuleExhaustiveBallot and RuleIRV. In some (common) cases, it accelerates the computation of related voting rules (RuleCondorcetAbsIRV, etc).
0.6.6 (2021-07-27): Fix bug in ProfileUM
- Fix bug: preferences_rk was an array of floats, it is now an array of integers.
0.6.5 (2021-07-27): Accelerations
- Accelerate ProfileSubsetCandidates (used for IIA but also for some voting rules such as RuleTideman).
- Add ProfileUM. This is used to speed up the generic exact algorithm for UM in the case of voting rules based on rankings.
- RuleTideman: accelerate counting the ballot and computing the winner (especially useful for exact UM).
- Accelerate preferences_ut_to_matrix_duels_ut.
- Accelerate matrix_victories_to_smith_set.
0.6.4 (2021-07-27): Option “faster” for Maximin
- RuleMaximin: implement cm_option=faster, which is as precise as fast to compute is_cm_, less precise to compute the bounds necessary_coalition_size_cm_ and sufficient_coalition_size_cm_, but a lot faster.
0.6.3 (2021-07-27): Accelerate ProfileSubsetCandidates
- Profile now has a parameter preferences_borda_rk. At initialization, it can be given instead of preferences_rk.
- ProfileSubsetCandidates: accelerate the initialization method.
0.6.2 (2021-07-27): Accelerate Maximin
- Accelerate RuleMaximin.necessary_coalition_size_cm_ and RuleMaximin.sufficient_coalition_size_cm_.
- Add RuleMaximin.sufficient_coalition_size_um_c_: number of manipulators that are sufficient (and necessary) for UM.
0.6.1 (2021-07-27): Accelerate Profile
- Accelerate Profile: lazy evaluation of attributes preferences_rk, preferences_ut, preferences_borda_rk and preferences_borda_ut. This leads to a very significant acceleration for many methods (typically TM, UM and IIA, but also CM and IM for some voting rules).
0.6.0 (2021-07-26): ExperimentsCompiler
- Add ExperimentsCompiler: draw plots and prepare tables based on the results computed by ExperimentAnalyzer on several experiments.
- Accelerate RuleMajorityJudgment.necessary_coalition_size_cm_ and RuleMajorityJudgment.sufficient_coalition_size_cm_.
0.5.1 (2021-07-24): Fix PyPI deployment
- Fix PyPI deployment.
0.5.0 (2021-07-24): Meta
- This release focuses on “meta” tools that make the simulations easier.
- Add StudyProfileCriteria: a set of criteria to study for the simulator about the profiles.
- Add StudyRuleCriteria: a set of criteria to study for the simulator about one or several voting rules.
- Add VotingRuleTasks: a set of tasks for the simulator, i.e. which voting rules with which options and which criteria about them.
- Add ExperimentAnalyzer: a simulator designed to study small variations of a given profile.
- New features for Rule:
- Add check_option_allowed: check whether a pair (option, value) is allowed.
- Add cm_power_index_: CM power index.
- Add elects_condorcet_winner_rk_even_with_cm_: True if there is a Condorcet winner, she is elected by sincere voting and it is not CM.
- Add is_tm_or_um_: True iff the profile is TM or UM.
- Add log_: log corresponding to a particular manipulation method.
- Add nb_candidates_cm_: number of candidates who can benefit from CM.
- Add relative_social_welfare_w_: relative social welfare of the winner.
- Add worst_relative_welfare_with_cm_: worst relative social welfare (sincere winner or candidate who can benefit from CM).
- Each rule now has two class attributes full_name (name of the rule) and abbreviation (abbreviation of the name of the rule). For example, for RuleApproval, it is Approval Voting and AV respectively.
- options_parameters is now a class attribute.
- Accelerate the generic brute-force algorithm for exact UM when the rule is based on rankings.
- New features for Profile:
- Add property relative_social_welfare_c: relative social welfare of each candidate.
- preferences_rk, preferences_ut, preferences_borda_rk and preferences_borda_ut are now properties.
- Minor changes:
- GeneratorProfile and all its subclasses now have a parameter sort_voters, which is simply passed to Profile when creating each profile.
- ProfileGeneratorNoisedFile is renamed to GeneratorProfileNoisedFile, for the sake of consistency with other profile generators.
- RULE_CLASSES is renamed to ALL_RULE_CLASSES.
- Add utility functions indent and pseudo_bool_not.
0.4.3 (2021-07-21): Accelerations
- Rule: accelerate trivial manipulation (TM) for rules based on rankings.
- Profile: compute preferences_borda_ut only when needed. In particular, if often accelerates trivial manipulation (which relies on examining an alternate Profile object, with trivial strategy for manipulators).
- RuleMajorityJudgment, RuleRangeVoting and RuleSTAR: accelerate the computation of the ballots.
0.4.2 (2021-07-20): Accelerate plurality_scores_ut
- Accelerate Profile.plurality_scores_ut. As an example, for a profile with 65,000 voters and 5 candidates, the new version is approximately 10 times faster.
0.4.1 (2021-07-20): Fix Missing Subpackage in Deployment
- Fix bug: in some distributions, some subpackages of Svvamp were not included.
0.4.0 (2021-07-19): Black, Copeland, Split Cycle, STAR
- Add RuleBlack.
- Add RuleCopeland.
- Add RuleSplitCycle.
- Add RuleSTAR.
- In RuleRangeVoting and RuleMajorityJudgment, add an attribute allowed_grades: a list of the allowed grades.
0.3.0 (2021-07-16): New CM Algorithms for Smith-IRV-Like Rules
- New CM algorithms for Smith-IRV-like rules:
- New CM algorithms for RuleICRV, RuleSmithIRV, RuleTideman, RuleWoodall and RuleIRVAverage.
- Add RuleIRV.example_ballots_cm_c_ and RuleIRV.example_ballots_cm_w_against_: examples of manipulating ballots (used as heuristic to manipulate Smith-IRV and similar rules).
- In RuleCondorcetAbsIRV and RuleCondorcetVtbIRV, the former option almost_exact is renamed to very_slow, for the sake of consistency with Smith-IRV and similar voting rules.
- Improve imports/exports:
- ProfileFromFile can now import a CVR (cast vote record) file.
- ProfileFromFile has a new parameter sort_candidates: sort the candidates from strongest to weakest (in a Black method sense).
- Add Profile.to_csv: export the utilities to a csv file.
- Add Rule.options: a dictionary with all the options of a rule.
- Bug fixes:
- Fix a major bug in RuleTideman: ballots were not counted correctly.
- Fix a bug in RuleExhaustiveBallot and RuleIRV: applying a voting rule to a profile was able to change the options of another (related) rule.
0.2.0 (2021-07-13): Smith-IRV and Similar Voting Rules
- A Profile object can now compute its Smith set (also called “top cycle”): smith_set_rk, smith_set_rk_ctb, smith_set_ut_abs, smith_set_ut_abs_ctb, smith_set_ut_rel, smith_set_ut_rel_ctb.
- Add Smith-IRV.
- Add Tideman’s rule.
- Add Woodall’s rule.
- Add constant RULE_CLASSES: list of all the rule classes.
- Tools that are mostly dedicated to developers:
- A global option allows to throw an error when an uncovered portion of code is reached.
- Add Profile.to_doctest_string.
- Add Rule._set_random_options.
- Add Rule._random_instruction.
0.1.2 (2021-07-12): Fix Release Number
- Fix release number.
0.1.1 (2021-07-12): Fix Deployment
- Fix deployment on PyPI.
0.1.0 (2021-07-12): Complete Refactoring
- Refactor the code completely. New architecture, especially for Rule (formerly Election), avoiding diamond inheritance. Rename most classes, properties and methods.
- Cover the code with tests. Print a message when execution reaches an uncovered part of the code.
- Fix some minor bugs.
- Documentation in numpy style.
- Tutorials are now Jupyter notebooks.
- New rules: Kim-Roush and IRV-Average.
0.0.4 (2015-03-10): Fix a Bug in Plurality
- Correct a minor bug in Plurality.IM (voters_IM is now updated).
0.0.3 (2015-02-28): Miscellaneous Minor Improvements
- Rename functions and attributes with suffix _vtb to _rk.
- Allow to define a population by both utilities and rankings.
- Add shift to Euclidean box model.
- Range voting / Majority Judgment: with a discrete set of grades, send to closest authorized grades.
0.0.2 (2015-02-16): SVVAMP’s Core Features
- 8 population models and 23 voting systems.
0.0.1 (2015-02-14): First Release
- First release on PyPI.
Release history Release notifications | RSS feed
Download the file for your platform. If you're not sure which to choose, learn more about installing packages.
Hashes for svvamp-0.9.1-py2.py3-none-any.whl