Extract data from an HTML table and store results to a csv file.
Simple script for downloading html tables as csv.
A quick review:
python table2csv.py \ http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/ucr/crime-in-the-u.s/2011/crime-in-the-u.s.-2011/tables/table-2 >> dump.txt
- accepts a URL
- Identifies all the tables
- Merges tables that share same structure (e.g. same column headers get merged)
- Figures out which table is the biggest
- extracts text
- extracts links
- add the ability to specify which table on the page you would like to download (not just the biggest one)
- [STRIKEOUT:add support for columns that do not use proper <th> tags for headers (i.e. imperfect html tables)]
- detect the data types found within each column
- add support for tables with hierarchical indices on the rows and/or columns
Download the file for your platform. If you're not sure which to choose, learn more about installing packages.